Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to hear your opinions on this subject. In the past, I've run Transmission fluid in my power steering pumps with no apparent problems. Ran a used pump and a rebuilt steering box well over 100,000 miles in a G Body. The steering box started leaking but I think it would have done that anyway due to it's design. It had the round top retained via a snap ring vs the four bolt top like the one you usually see on Chevelles, Trucks, and B Bodys. What do you guys think???

Dan

·
Registered
12,966 Posts
Dexron II is what GM recommended. Same stuff people put in their slush boxes. Real trannys use 90w gear oil.

------------------

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
I think most car manufacturers use the same fluid for both, or it is at least compatible. The only exception I have seen to this was with an 85 Honda Accord I had, where there was a specific power steering fluid for Hondas, and it was readily available as "Power Steering Fluid For Honda's" at the Discount places Like Pep Boy's. Not sure what was special about it, but there were major warnings about using ATF in the system.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Recently I replaced the steering box on my Z28. I have always used the Tranny fluid for the p/s, but while at the store getting parts I noticed bottles of Power Steering fluid. Thinking that if the tranny fluid works fine, then the dedicated steering fluid has to be even better.
When I started pouring the stuff in I noticed it was not like the tranny fluid.....it was thinner.
Started the car up, primed the steering box and pump and started getting a chatter out of the pump.
I drained the system and replaced w/ tranny fluid and the noised stopped.
Use the Tranny Fluid.

My experience
Shannon

·
Registered
622 Posts
DZAUTO is right : REAL trannys use 90 wt.- don't mix it with P.S. fluid.

------------------

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
Original message removed because it was stupid...sorry if I offended anyone.

[This message has been edited by Gene McGill (edited 06-02-99).]

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Power Steering fluid is hydraulic fluid which is basically what transmission fluid is. I have always used (20 years) transmission fluid in my GM power steering systems with absolutely no problems. PS fluid needs to be high detergent and thin to work effectively, that's what trans fluid does. I recommend the tranny fluid. Phil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.