Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am thinking about converting to power steering on my '66 Chevelle as I'm not getting any younger, and am getting tired of wrestling the steering wheel around. Just wondering if anyone has done this upgrade before, and what the approximate cost might be. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
11,595 Posts
Phil,
Ive done the conversion. Went with the Jeep Grand Cherokee box that I acquired from Rock Auto. Think I got the remaining items from Summit and Ebay. There is a huse sticky at the top of the Brakes,Steering,Suspension forum that lays the subject out rather well.

Reactions: Flipper

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
BB or SB

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Phil,
Ive done the conversion. Went with the Jeep Grand Cherokee box that I acquired from Rock Auto. Think I got the remaining items from Summit and Ebay. There is a huse sticky at the top of the Brakes,Steering,Suspension forum that lays the subject out rather well.
Got it! Some great info, and I appreciate the reply.

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
It's a big block car.
If you want to make it look like a 66 with the short water pump and the remote Canister pump your going to pay. To be cheap you can bubba your wiring and convert it to a long water pump and use 69+ brackets and pump

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
28,949 Posts
n ot a performance topic, moving.

·
Gold Founding Member
758 Posts
Reactions: Kirk's67SS

·
Registered
309 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Don't make the mistake that I did. I wanted it original and went with the correct steering box which is 4.0 to 1 turns lock to lock. It sucks especially if you drive a car today with quick steering. Get a 2.8 to 1 box, 3.2. to 1 max.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Contact Lee steering and get a good system. My 69 handles bette then a modern sports car with there 14:1 800 series box with a 20 lb valve..

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
28,949 Posts
it was, I moved it here.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Jeff is that a variable steering box? 14 to 1 is about a 3.5 to 1 box, YES?
The 800 Series box is constant ratio not variable. The 14:1 ratio (I think) is better for the street because its not overly sensitive on the highway. There really isn't much difference between the 12.7 and the 14:1.

From center to the end of turning its 1.75 turns. Lock to lock is 3.5 turns..

I wish I could show you guys how nice these boxes are. My 69 el Camino has such a nice feel to it, so precise with a very positive bounce back to center.. I've all ready set my caster to +1 both sides and it still had a very good bounce back, just on SAI... Actually my car turned very fast at this setting..

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
Isn't Lee closed / done? (I used Lee when I did mine - SBC)

·
Registered
572 Posts
it was, I moved it here.
Anything that can give me better steering than my original 54 year old box, is a performance upgrade, lol 😊

I installed a PSC box over the winter, have heard great things about it but car is not on the road yet, hopefully this weekend!!

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
Isn't Lee closed / done? (I used Lee when I did mine - SBC)
Nope. They reopened 3 or 4 years ago under a new owner who was a former employee of Lee.

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
Anything that can give me better steering than my original 54 year old box, is a performance upgrade, lol 😊

I installed a PSC box over the winter, have heard great things about it but car is not on the road yet, hopefully this weekend!!
the problem is your box is 54 years old have it rebuilt to like new and you might be surprised how well it work

1 - 20 of 21 Posts