Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed my aux radiator fan and temp switch on my 71. Everything works great but it stays on after I turn the ignition off if it's too hot.
DOH ! I didn't think about that when I hooked it up to the horn relay hot wires.

Is there an ignition switched lead I can connect to in the front near the radiator or am I going to have to run a lead from the fuse box ?

Thanks !

Tom

·
Registered
318 Posts
You'll probably have to run something from the fuse block if you're using it as your main power source. I can't think of a switched source in the engine compartment that would support that load in addition to what it's supposed to be carrying.

Why don't you just add another fan relay?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Yeah, aftermarket instructions. You don't want to pull any heavy power off the ignition switch. Use a relay as advised. Tapping off the horn relay is OK but fuse or breaker that line. Run power through the relay contacts to the fan. Energize the relay coil using the line that goes to or did go to the idle stop solenoid. That should switch on and off with a key.
If you still want the fans to run, after the key is off, but the engine is hot, you could use a thermal switch mounted in the water outlet. Just use another set of contacts, on the relay, as a latch until the thermal switch opens.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts