Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this thread and I have a couple of questions about my 85 ElCamino. 1. It has power door locks but no key fob. Can a key fob be installed and whats the procedure? Are the seat belts the same in the El Camino and a 2 door Malibu?Thanks for any help I get. BW

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm not sure, but I don't think they had one in 85. I think if GM had them then, it was probably only on the high end cars. Google one ,or look on Ebay.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
You can add a keyless entry system that uses the existing power lock setup in the vehicle already. Basically an output of this keyless entry will send a signal to lock the doors on one wire out of it and then on another wire send out an unlock signal. Depending on the existing wiring and that of the keyless entry module, you may need some relays. Some setups too can be wired to where when you press the unlock button just the driver's door unlocks and then hit the button again and the other door unlocks. When you hit the lock button on the remote, both doors will lock.

Other features I've seen with keyless entry modules is a horn honk, a starter interupt, a flashing LED indicator, parking light flash confirmation, and a third channel for options like an electric trunk release.

Some also have better range than others.

Here's just one but there are many out there.

https://www.viper.com/car/keylessentry/product/211hv/viper-1-way-keyless-entry-system

Jim

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
GM didn't have remote door locks until the early 90's. with that said there are many aftermarket ones on the market. the seat belts should be the same on a Monte Carlo. but bench and buckets will be different

1 - 6 of 6 Posts