Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out the wiring on a power lock setup.

The donor car for solenoids and switches was an 89 pontiac 4 door.

Solenoid has 2 wires. Does not groud thru the Body.

Switch has three.

If I apply pwr and grnd on the 2 wires on the solenoid it will extend. If I reverse the wires it will retract.

The problem? How do you do this with a 3 wire switch?

1 = main pwr
2 = Momentary pwr to extend the solenoid
3 = Momentary pwr to retract the solenoid

Where does it ground and how did they reverse the polarity with 3 wires.

If I didn't explain well enough let me know.

Tim

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, But this is the switch that came off the car. Any ideas?

Tim

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Tim,
Let's see if this is what you have. The factory switch has 3 wires (one is the power in and the other two depending on which way the switch is pushed will send power out of either one of the remaining two wires). The solenoids are not self grounding so if we apply 12v to the one wire on the solenoid and a ground to the other it will move it one way. If we reverse the connections the solenoid will move the other way. To get the 3 wire switch to operate the solenoids both ways you will have to go through a relay system (a lot of the cars from the era that the parts were removed from used relays buried in the dash or kick panels). You will only need two relays to do this but they must be the 5 terminal style.
The 3 wire swtich will need to be wired to two relays. The solenoids inn the doors will also wire to the relays. The relays will flip the connections back and forth on the solenoids depending on which way the 3 wire switch is pressed.
If you need some wiring info, let me know.
Jim/Saint Louis

1 - 6 of 6 Posts