Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK i just bought my self another chevelle (67). and it has a power glide. i want to change it to th400. i have the trans the yoke the linkage the lines etc. only question i have is can i use my power glide trans cross member or do i have to get a new one? also will the power glide drive shaft work. i know the yoke has to be change on it but other wise will it work???

thanks as always

Hot66ss

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 66 that I switched from a Powerglide to a T400. I had to move the original crossmember back and drill new holes, but I think that a 67 already has the holes drilled in the frame. The driveshaft will have to be shortened approximately 1 inch for proper clearance.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I just did the same thing to my 67. Just unbolt your crossmember and slide it back to the next set of holes.you'll need a different tranny mount.As far as putting a400 yoke on the old drive shaft,should be able to do it. I just got a drive shaft out of a car with a th400.the length was perfect(just coincidence) just needed a new u-joint for the rear.

------------------

JoeS
"67 Malibu"

·
Registered
151 Posts
My 69 TH400 has a electric kickdown switch inside the car at the gas pedal linkage. I think it can be moved to the engine. I don't remember if the PG has a electric kickdown. Take the driveshaft to a driveshaft shop so it can be re-balanced. If you can, take the car and let them measure it.

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Powerglides have a forced mechanical downshift linkage. W.O.T. Forces a series of rods to shift the tranny linkage into "low".

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So if i use my 400 yoke I dont need to have the drive shaft shortend?????

thanks for the help

Hot66ss

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.