Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 69 conv with power top. The power top motor sounds like it tries to raise the top but it doesn't move. This is my first power top...can someone explain exactly how it works and the components involved? He gave me a new hydraulic cylinder so it may need it. Thanks for any info.

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
John,

'Eh, have you unlatched it?

Kidding, of course.

The power top is - as you likely know, hydraulic. The electric motor actually drives a hydraulic pump that forces fluid (ATF I believe) through small hoses to the cylinders (rams). There are two rams, left and right.

If the top isn't moving, either the system is low or out of fluid, the pump is shot, or the rams are shot. If you find that it's low or out of fluid there must be a leak.

If you are going to trouble shoot this yourself you'd do well to obtain a service manual. It will go into details.

Good luck...

Dan

------------------
Awww, fer cyrin out loud, there's that IMPALA guy again.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/ss3964spd?d&.flabel=fld1&.src=ph

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I'd definitely figure out which cylinder is bad and replace it.Might need both. I filled my system only to find that both cylinders were shot. I removed the upper line on one cylinder and put it in a bottle of ATF, and drew it into the system. Use ATF, brake fluid will work but it likes to eat paint.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hey John,
First I'ld remove the covers at the top of the rear side panels, and have a look see in there, to look for leaking cylinders or lines, you can check the lines and motor in the trunk also for leaks, if all looks dry, then proceed on, if any thing looks even possibly wet, investigate thoroughly, because any leak under pressure can become enormous and messy,

The top is not moving, and the motor is making weird noises, proably due to a lack of fluid, the motor is bi-directional, and presurizes the cylinders in both directions.
There is a plug in the housing of the motor, remove it and check for fluid, there are many varying opinions on what to use, I use reg. tranny fluid in mine,
Take a new qt of fluid, and a piece of 1/4 id hose @ 18" - 24" long and crawl into the trunk, run the hose from the qt to the opening in the motor (note: the hose has to be a fairly snug fit into the pump motor housing), and have someone opperate the top switch, alternating up and down, the pump will siphon the fluid in,
If the top still won't move, try either putting the top up or down manually, to change the starting position, you may have to help it move also, as the top goes up and down it will bleed the air out.
That should get you started, you may also wish to do a search on this subject in various forums for additional info,

Best of Luck

------------------
RicksRag
Stephen City, Va
TC # 560
ACES # 3702

[This message has been edited by RicksRag (edited 02-12-2001).]

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
The Fisher Body service manual specifies ATF.

------------------
Bill Pritchard
69 SS396 Convertible
"There's never enough time to do the job properly, but always enough time to do it over."

·
Registered
18 Posts
When we bought our 68 last year one of the first things I did was hook it to a battery charger and see if the top worked. Even after 15 years of not being used it creaked and moaned but still moved into place. After the "dry run" I put some of that Remington gun oil with teflon on the hinge points, goes up and down like a dream now.

Ryan

------------------
Team Chevelle Member #620
68 SS 396 Convertible
68 Buick Skylark Custom (with a 455 soon!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.