Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see this alot on Facebook and such..Holding the brakes and spinning the tires..Is this a show of horsepower or?..I always thought If the tires will spin without holding the brakes showed power and torque. Maybe a generational thing? Or Maybe I am just plain wrong..This isn't intended to talk down the power braking people I am just curious

·
Registered
48 Posts
Strictly for fun. But it doesn't need brakes like it did when I was 16 teens. It makes more sense to install a line lock at the strip or to burn the tires for fun.

If the car wouldnt cook the tires with brakes when we were 16 we wet the road. If that wasn't enough have a couple buddies pull up on the right rear fender. No matter what it was as long as it had wheels we could smoke the tire/s on it back then.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Maybe they should work more to make it NOT spin the tires. This is what makes 600 hp 12 second cars.

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
I just bought a set of tires for my wife's Mustang GT. $1000.00 installed. There will not be any power braking for that car. Even my 68 Chevelle tires cost me over $650 installed. No power brake for that either but then again I have a stick and there is no need to.

·
Premium Member
15,854 Posts
Everyone seems to have a line-lock Bandit, for sure. Had one and removed it myself. ALSO, the cheapo Vanderbuilt redline cases are over $220 a pop. Lot of dough for so -so tires. Even more reason to not smoke 'em.

My lil "rat on a stick" is WAY more fun with slicks on. Was done showing off when I was 19.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Used to be called "power stall".
Demonstrations of power involve elapsed times and speed.
Anything else is just tire smoke.

Reactions: 427L88

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevelle SS
160 Posts
Back when I was young and dumb and full of, well this IS a family site, I could light the tires with my ‘69 Z-28 with ease without a line lock. Used to get a kick out of filling a parking lot with smoke, and often beer was involved. Running BFG T/a’s, back then (and still on my SS now).

No inclination to do that now.

·
Registered
14,547 Posts
I remember back when I was 16, had a 9 month old rebuilt trans in my camaro. guy was doing the power brake thing with his 69 chevelle ss, so I asked how do I do that? after he explains it, I try it a few times in the K mart parking lot and when I finally figure it out, my trans pukes. Limped it home, dad took it back to aamco asks why would one of thier rebuilt trans go bad on 9 months (had a 6 month warranty) They couldn't figure it out but fixed it. I mever did tell dad what a power brake burn out was. jim

Reactions: shovelrick and SFD

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
I was never into power braking and I think doing donuts while smoking the tires is just plain stupid. It doesn't impress me one bit.

Reactions: davewho1

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
NEVER power braking before but, would dump the clutch and just go thru the gears is good by me.
I put a line lock on my car about 8 years ago and drove out to an industrial park on a sunday morning and tried it out.
Locked the line and revved the car to about 3000 rpm`s and dumped the clutch. Blow the fan right thru the radiator due to the massive wheel hop.
I limped home and have not tried it since.
Found out my control arms on the right side of the rear were loose?

I just use the line lock for holding on hills now.:whistle:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Power braking? When I was younger, we called it a brake stand. I much prefer the "rolling burnout" going about 30mph, mash the loud pedal and lay down a pair of black stripes for a few hundred feet. I never really understood the need for a line lock, unless you've got 3 pedals and use your car on the drag strip. For the limited miles most of us drive our cars, might as well use up the tires before they age out and need replacing anyways. I hate replacing tires that still have tread on them, feels like I didn't get my money's worth.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts