Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where to get power brake boosters and disc brake backing plates for my 70 SS cadmium plated? Do you get moore points in a car show for this detail work?. Will just plain black or silver paint be OK? I tried the 4-part golden cad paint system from Eastwood with dissapointing results. Since ASL is no longer in business, I was wondering where and at what cost I can get this done. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Get a Hemmings Motor News. Plenty of sources for replating will be listed.

·
Registered
13,200 Posts
Plating shops that do a large volume probably can do both silver and gold cad plating. I have had 2 done here in Okla City at 2 different shops. I am satisfied with both results. You may have to shop around. But first, you need to find a booster rebuilder to disassemble your booster. Check with the places that sell/rebuild brakes and parts to find out where to get it done. After you have the booster seperated into halves, then have it replated. It cost me $65 to get the booster rebuilt and $40 for plating. That was over a year ago, but I have both original boosters. I have never had a car judged yet at a Chevelle event (I will in Aug in Tulsa). I am VERY familiar with Corvette judging in NCRS. If the Chevelle organization judging is at all similar to the way Corvettes are judged, then yes, it will make a difference if the booster and backing plates are re-plated.

------------------

·
Registered
368 Posts
I havn't had mine done yet but I've had favorable reports about "Booster Dewey". See add in Hemmings. I believe that he takes care of both rebuilding and plating.
I think that Ground Up also has rebuilt units with correct plating fo $$$.
I judged chassis & underhood at NCOA Nationals in '96. Yes, I knocked off points for non-original booster finish. Perhaps 3 or 4 points out of 1000 total. I don't know about Chevella-Bration judging. Can someone else comment.

------------------
Fred Aldrich
Web Site: www.GeoCities.com/~69_chevelle

[This message has been edited by Fred Aldrich (edited 05-25-99).]

[This message has been edited by Fred Aldrich (edited 05-25-99).]

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I had my 69 power booster rebuilt and replated by "Booster Dewey" and was quite impressed by his work. The whole job cost $130 for the rebuild, correct gold cad plating and shipping + handling. I gave him clean one to start with so you might want to make sure you talk to him first if yours is pitted or has some other faults. He couldn't be nicer to talk to on the phone and delivered the booster in a timely fashion(2weeks). I'd recommend him anytime.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,713 Posts
Fred, Chevellabration judging is by popular vote. Each participant votes for their 3 favorites in each class. Awards are given to the top 3 in each class. Keeps everything a little lighter and more fun, except for maybe a few 950 point and up owners. von

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.