Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally found one for my '71 and am ready to install it and can't figure out how to wire it! I know it needs power all the time, not just with the key on. Does it wire thru a circuit breaker on the firewall like power windows, or go to the fuse box? The Fisher Body manual has troubleshooting and repair instructions, but no schematics or component locator and its not in the service manual. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
This is what you need. The power seat should connect to the power supplied from the fire wall mounted circuit breaker. The top is a three position connector that would replace the one position connector you already have. It connects directly to the circuit breaker. M&H sells them. The bottom is an expander, it will connect to the existing connector. I don't know of a source other than finding one in a junk yard. You may also need an extension that would connect to the seat harness and the expander.

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Hey Dave,

If I remember right... ;)

The power for those comes from a black wire with an orange stripe. This provides the constant 12 volts which is unswitched. A ground is provided right at the floor pan via a bolt.

The power wire runs out of the interior of the car thru the firewall, where it connects to a firewall-mounted 30 amp auto-resetable circuit breaker. The source side of the breaker gets power via a 10 ga wire bolted to the horn relay power connections.

Again, just going off of memory here. Between Elree Colby and a assembly manual, you should be able to get it down to a perfect factory match.

·
Premium Member
4,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, thats what I needed. Its not in the assy manual or service manual because its Fisher Body stuff. The power windows use a similar circuit breaker, and I've done that before.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm going through the same problem right now before I install my bench seat I would like to have the wireing on the car done before I conect it ,so does anyone have pics or part number for the resetable circuit breaker or pictures ?thanks

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
28,957 Posts
Wow, a 7 year old post. good info never dies.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I didn't even notice the date .,,I agree good info can be found with the search feature!! So to answer my own question , I found a 30 amp circuit breaker at local oreileys (blade type) so I will try that with some thick gauge wire straight to the battery and another 30 amp inline fuse close to the batteryi welcome any I welcome any input,....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts