Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post the cool modifications and add-ons that were popular back when you were younger.

Cal custom
Ansen
Sun
Stewart Warner
Paint
Rims

Let's see what you had or did years ago.

·
Registered
1972 Malibu
310 Posts
Different country and different era...

The biggest mod when I was a teenager was
Adjustable fuel pressure reg. For stock EFI cars.
They called it power boost valve or something like that.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Different country and different era...

The biggest mod when I was a teenager was
Adjustable fuel pressure reg. For stock EFI cars.
They called it power boost valve or something like that.
What did that do?

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I got to High School in 89 and drove my first 70 Chevelle my Father and I started restoring 3yrs prior.
NOTE: I was 16 in South FL. and All these mods took place in a one month period he was gone.

MOD 1: Cold Air intake. (what I thought). My 70 had a flat hood with something like this over the cowl.
Grille Hood Automotive lighting Rectangle Automotive tire

MOD 2: Pump up the air shocks and install wide tires.
MOD 3: Cherry bomb glasspacks.

I was so cool !

When he got home, the car was in the drive and he didn't come in right away. So I went out to say hi and he was laughing so hard ! Then proceeded to tell me how retarded it looked. We went for a ride, all the while was laughing. The next weekend he helped me put the correct shocks and springs on with a better tire for the look I wanted. Took off the glasspacks and installed a nicer sounding 2.5 in exhaust. The scoop was painted white to match the car and got to stay.

The 70 I have now. 1st item of change was a full CPP suspension and tires and wheels. CPP was the only full suspension kit at the time and in my price range as a young military guy operating out of the smallest 1 car garage you've ever seen.

Mike

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Now that's awesome !

Mike

·
Premium Member
28,734 Posts
This is not my car, but I know the owner. Lives near by. He bought this car as you see it, in 1979 on a used car lot. He used to give my local machinist and engine builder a ride to work in it back then.396 with 840 square port heads and tunnel ram w/ 650 double pumpers,M21,4.56 gear. It still runs awesome and looks great after all these years Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

·
Registered
197 Posts
Highschool. Senoir year. Battling for the title of fastest car in school with my 71 chevelle. Tired of losing to the slower cars because of traction issues with the new 450hp small block. Didnt have money for a posi so we welded the spider gears in the diff. It was fun turning corners and hearing one of the tires bark at ya. Worked well till it broke lol. But i did secure the title of fastest car in school for senoir year because of it. Fun time to be alive when 450hp was fast. I still have the same chevelle with the same paint and wheels as it sat in high school:

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
16,149 Posts
I've been toying with the idea of putting a tripower on the wagon.

At this point I do have Cal Custom valve covers and I also have Cal Custom covers for the voltage regulator and horn relay (last two not shown).
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1966 Malibu, 327, Muncie, 3.55 posi
252 Posts
When I was in HS in the 80's, all a guy had to do to give the impression that you car was a hot rod was to add:
Mags
Air shocks
glasspacks

In 2000, at the HS near my house, the "rods" had:
Tiny gold/chrome rims
Scraping low stance
Bug lights on the undercarriage
Coffee can mufflers

Now I live by another HS in a more affluent city. The hot rods are the new performance cars:
Audi
Mustangs
Chargers
Camaros

Japanese cars are the choice for "work in progress" hot rods. They add:
Racing stickers
Cheap rear spoilers
Exhaust pipes that sound like angry weed eaters

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Scavenger pipes, extended shakels, chrome reverse, dual point distributor, trips, Porter mufflers, Douglass exhaust systems they came with very nice headers and there in house glass packs. That exhaust system was so nice!!

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Does drilling holes in your mufflers/exhaust count?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Love the look of a Tri Power set-up on a Chevelle
Interestingly the Tri Power was going to an option in 67 . It shows up in the AIM as options L64 and L67 but says "cancelled" in the drafting notes. If you look at the underside of the hood, you can see it was made for the tri power air cleaner to clear.

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,538 Posts
Hi-jackers to clear the rear reverse rims. Hated the look and still do. Went back to a regular rim pretty quick and lowered those shocks down.

·
Super Moderator
16,149 Posts

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Yeah, basically one of the reproduction Corvette 427 tripower systems. Would want to keep it looking OEM-ish.
Hijack warning here....!

Is there a repop 3x2 manifold out there or would ya be looking at stock GM mfld with some sort of carb option?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts