Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how can i tell if my engine is missing on a cylinder?

my dad thinks he hears it and i think there is something amiss because i have almost no power/acceleration. it seems that even with a 307/PG/2.73 gears that i should get better acceleration than my moms minivan.

what is the easiest way to check for a miss and what else should i look for that may be robbing power?

------------------
Derek Ohlgren

68 El Camino w/ 307
Hugger Orange, beautiful color.

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
Get an inductive timing light and stick the pickup on each plug wire and make sure you get flashing on every one. I've had numerous ignition problems so I carry my timing light with me in the trunk for road side trouble shooting.

Make sure all the valves are opening I guess....um...also try waiting for a response from someone who knows better than I.

Tim.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
pull the plugs and take a compression check of the engine. check the spark plugs for any unusual looking problem. if the compression is good and the plugs are okay-check to see how old the wires are-plus the parts of the distributor. lots of people dont write down the tune-up dates and mileage.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>
pull the plugs and take a compression check of the engine.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
How do i do that?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Pull one plug wire off at a time and see if the engine idle varies.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

will doing this shock me if i do it while the engine is running?

thanks for the ideas.

------------------
Derek Ohlgren

68 El Camino w/ 307
Hugger Orange, beautiful color.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks. probably easier to get to them on the distributor too. won't burn myself

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.