Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just repaced battery,external regulator,had altenator bench tested,starter/selonoid,ignition switch replaced. sometimes when i disconnect the negative cable there is a small spark and the regulator makes a loud clicking sound - this noise can be felt if you put your hand on the altenator,if plug removed from back of altenator it won't do it. i did notice the l. door jamb interior lite switch is faulty/intermitant, would this cause the condition or is there some kind of power draw? someone told me its a diode in the altenator, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as i don't feel comfortable driving car(car is '69 chevelle ss 396) thanks guys!!

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Is there a ground strap on the regulator. Believe that year regulator is mounted on rubber wellnuts and needs a ground strap.
If so, disconnect the negative battery cable again. Put a test light between the cable and battery post. See if the test light comes on. If you don't have something like a clock, which is on all the time, the light should not come on.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
A click in the regulator when you remove the battery power could indicate that a diode is bad in the alternator. It would be turning on the energize relay in the regulator. Check and see if there is 12V on the brown or #4 terminal of the regulator when the key and car is off with the battery connected.

Also, are the horns connected to the horn relay? It could be the horn relay stuck on. Sometimes, the wire for the horn can short to ground in the column which makes the relay stick on.

Peter

·
Registered
169 Posts
Had a similar problem to yours. Found that the 12v lead from the ignition switch was shorted. Basically sending power to the regulator. Re-ran the wire and problem solved.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts