Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on my 71 Chevelle for a while now, and finally have ordered new door panels to clean up my interior. Crazy me but I have never paid attention to the fact that the door panels in my car do not match the repro's I ordered. The ones in the vehicle have the large and straight ivory strip going across them. I have several questions for you all on this. First is this a good indication that the car rolled out of the factory as a heavy Chevy? Second if this is the case would there be more value in trying to restore these door panels as opposed to putting the new ones in? I am not smart on the heavy Chevy and unfortunately my car did not come with a build sheet to bump it against.

As always thank you for the assistance you provide.
Brian

·
Premium Member
3,900 Posts
Your VIN would be the first indicator.
If the VIN checks out then I would take a look at the radiator support for evidence of Originally Installed hood pins and lanyards.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
It may be just a base model Chevelle. The Heavy Chevy came with the new style Rally wheels, but the did not come with trim rings. Does your car have a domed hood? Any sign that it had the Heavy Chevy stripes? If your Vin starts with a 136, then it for sure would not have been a Heavy Chevy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I got the car it was a shell and frame and I have pieced together everything else. But all the door panels were there and they have the large ivory stripe. Also this car was originally a good but the previous ownsers painted it primer red so I cannot see any side stripes. I will say the trunk lid has the chevelle emblem intact and I thought that was not there on the heavy Chevy. Picture attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The buckets are what I have acquired 10 years ago when it was just a shell, but it was originally a bench seat car. Unfortunately the bench seat did not come with it and someone had old Honda Accord seats bolted to the floors.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
If you would like to know more about your car better pictures would really help.
Is the red hood that is against your garage wall a domed hood? Looks like this hood was on the car before the one that is on there now. Heavy Chevy cars did not have the standard flat hoods.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
OK, it is a 13437 car. So that rules out that it was originally a Malibu or a Malibu with the SS option chosen when ordered new. This does not automatically make your car a Heavy Chevy. It just makes it possible to have been one originally. Your Rally wheels are not the correct style for a 1971.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah the red hood is what came with the car when I received it. So final question, did this interior come in cars other than just the heavy Chevy? My biggest concern was should I just install the new panels or see if I could get these cleaned up and restored. Maybe just keep this old interior around in case I could find out more.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
1969-1972 bucket seats had the seat back lock release button in the center of the seat backs. 1967 and 1968 had the release buttons on the outside edges of the seat back panels. 1966 has no seat back locking mechanisms.

·
Premium Member
3,595 Posts
Brian, your right, no trunk script on the Heavy. Also, you could not order buckets. The best and most sure way to confirm will be a build sheet, that matches the Vin of the car. Places to look: Under carpet on insulation sound deadener front floor foot areas, inside door panel, on top of fuel tank, behind rear seat in springs. The VIN will only get you into the "non-Malibu" categories which would include the base model Chevelle. The door panels, repo for a Heavy are available, but very spendy and probably a year out. The ivory bar on door panels as well as rear side panels did come on the 71' Heavy, wood grain for the 72'. Paper is your best bet, any chance this car came out of Idaho? Here's some good info:
1971 Chevelle

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah those I acquired from a friend of Jimmac on team chevelle here. The old owner was using this car to drag on Friday nights and then through on old steel wheels to make it a roller. Originally I was going to close this car but I have decided that I like the clean look and bow tie on the grille.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
You would have to post better pictures of the panels. From what I can see so far, they look like they have seen better days. It would not hurt to save them though. The Heavy Chevy used the same interior panels as the base model Chevelles. Not only Heavy Chevy's had those panels.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
If I had a base model Chevelle, I would most definitely build the car as a Heavy Chevy. Why, they look some much more sporty and there is more of a demand for one than just a common base Chevelle.

·
Super Moderator
13,143 Posts
Brian,
Those are the same door panels as my Heavy Chevy but like others have said they were on all of the base models. If it was a Heavy Chevy it would have had hood pins and a cowl type hood. And no script on the back so most likely yours is just a bas model. Back then you could order a car with almost any combination of options you wanted so there is no telling without a build sheet.

·
Premium Member
3,595 Posts
Saw it earlier today too, did you notice a young Arnold Schwartzineger?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts