Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, i just put a new battery in cause the old one went bad it would not hold a charge but not 1 week later this NEW battery is dying and does not even have enought power to start the car even thought at my volt gauge it showed 10 volts. so i had to get a jumpstart from a towtruck but when i was driving home with headlights and stereo and gaugelights and everything the volt gauge showed 8.5-9v. my question is do you think a bad alternator could be the cause of they battery constantly loosing its cahrge? thanks.

·
Registered
418 Posts
You may have another bad battery. Similar thing happened to a friend recently.

------------------

It's a BIGGER block!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you know a way to test the alternator to see wheter its bad or not? headlights do not dim when turned on at night

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Internal or external regulated alternator? The first thing to check is the output at the alternator. Measure between the large red alternator wire and ground. You should have close to 14.5 volts.

·
Registered
73 Posts
fastest way to do it is go to an autoparts store they will tell you your cranking amps , voltage on the alternator and some other stuff its free and takes like a minujte

·
Registered
249 Posts
For such emergencies, I keep a charged battery in my trunk at all times. It has come in handy on a few occaisions to give myself a junp. I also use it to jump others in need, as I don't like to stress the system or have a loose jumper cable come loose. I give it a maintenance charge every once in awhile, I should swap them back and forth, but too much trouble to do that.

------------------
Joe G.
ChicagoChevelle68
Any car past 1972 is just simply transportation, really!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts