Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been thinking about putting another engine together for my 71 ss454 from some of the parts i have . the 468 i had in my race car is disassembled with a cracked bore. it has some ls6 7/16rods that were polished and shot peened,bushed small end with arp bolts. nice ls6 crank thats .010 and was prepped correctly. ati damper. anyway,been thinking about using the rotating assy to build a 522 for the street car with a dart sportsman block. i want the car to be driveable so i would stay conservative on the cam timing and port volume but i would go all out on the heads intake and exhaust. without a ton of work a dual plane would probably cost to much hp and the 1 3/4 headers would need to be replaced along with the exhaust. going with a 308 gear and turbo 400. i want this thing to haul ass but be able to drive it anywhere. the 8 to 1 049 454 will be sold. looking for thoughts on this plann

·
Premium Member
4,718 Posts
ive been thinking about putting another engine together for my 71 ss454 from some of the parts i have . the 468 i had in my race car is disassembled with a cracked bore. it has some ls6 7/16rods that were polished and shot peened,bushed small end with arp bolts. nice ls6 crank thats .010 and was prepped correctly. ati damper. anyway,been thinking about using the rotating assy to build a 522 for the street car with a dart sportsman block. i want the car to be driveable so i would stay conservative on the cam timing and port volume but i would go all out on the heads intake and exhaust. without a ton of work a dual plane would probably cost to much hp and the 1 3/4 headers would need to be replaced along with the exhaust. going with a 308 gear and turbo 400. i want this thing to haul ass but be able to drive it anywhere. the 8 to 1 049 454 will be sold. looking for thoughts on this plann
How fast did your SST car go off the stop?

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
this engine will be for my street car. the 468 went 136 off the stop before i pulled it due to the cracked #7bore. the 505 will go 142 i have in it now. im thinking 10 to 1 hyd roller 522 for the street 71

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was looking at the small bore john case symmetrical port heads from cid. an Australian company for something different that should make good power.

·
Premium Member
9,512 Posts
I think that will be a blast.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Other than matching the gear to the cam I think you'll be fine. Just don't go to radical on the cam so it doesn't buck at low engine speed.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
i was looking at the small bore john case symmetrical port heads from cid. an Australian company for something different that should make good power.
It would be interesting to see how those heads work.
Guy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts