Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The previous owner cut my positive coil wire very near the fuse box. And now that I'm back to points, it smokes when the power is connected. This is BAD. Can that single wire be replaced easily or could I run a wire from a constant hot spot on the fuse box to a switch, which then goes to the ballist resistor and then to the coil? Which would be the easiest/wisest option?

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,064 Posts
Kikss, that wire is a resistance wire, not an ordinary wire. Easiest way out for you is to run a wire from the IGN terminal in the fusebox to a regular auto parts store ballast resistor on the firewall, then to the positive side of the coil. Since it was actually smoking, might be worthwhile to check your points/condenser/coil for shorts to ground before hooking it all up again. For instance, there should be no current flow through the system at all if the points are open, if there is, something is bad wrong somewhere. Is there a tachometer or anti-theft device in the system that might be hooked up wrong or something?

Tom

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The resistance wire was connected (just with tape, I believed this was the problem) to a normal 12g wire that was then connected to the ballast resistor then to the coil. The negative wire from the coil goes to the spot where the condenser wire is connected on the outside of the distributor (Mallory Dual Point Mech advan.)? The Tach works and the car idles.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The resistance wire only works right if the exact amount of wire is used. Mine was labeled resistance wire, do not cut or splice. You are better off using a ballast resistor at this point for the easy way out. The harder way, find or buy a original resistance wire for your car, perhaps from a junkyard car, may be tough finding a points GM car. Disconnect the engine harness connector push out the resist wire spade, and remove the wire intact with the connectors on either end. Make sure the "R" wire from the starter to the coil+ is a good gauge wire.

------------------
Frank W
Gen X Member#22 (MA)
73 Malibu Coupe
http://hometown.aol.com/folingo/myhomepage/auto.html
Mighty 305 Power

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just get a new engine harness from one of the suppliers -they are usually not too much money by themselves. You may save yourself other problems this way too.

Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.