Team Chevelle banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know As I was stepping on an off of my stock chevelle frame and setup, I couldnt help but to notice that there is a positive camber gains as the suspension is compressed. By that I mean that the top of the wheels bow out as the suspension is compressed.

But isn't that the opposite of what you want you car to do as the suspension is compressed?

I read that positive camber gain is good for cornering, better than no gain a all. So a negative camber gain in cornering would make a car handle badly... .. right ? :confused:

Can anybody with more suspension knowledge confirm or let me know if I am wrong and elaborate on this ?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Negative camber gain in cornering ???

Negative is good, what you're describing is positive, which is bad.

This is why taller spindles and balljoints are used.
I had it backwards... I edited it. So a car with tall spindles wont have positive camber gain?

·
Registered
398 Posts
If I'm envisioning this correctly, you are stepping on and off of a frame with suspension/springs/wheels attached? The suspension in that case is probably at or close to full droop. I'm pretty sure it's typical of SLA suspensions to gain negative camber when approaching full droop, because that top arm is shorter then the bottom. What you really want to look at is the camber change from normal ride height, not when the suspension is fully unloaded. I'm not aware of the camber gain characteristics of the A-body suspension (yet), but I'm sure it gains SOME negative camber when compressed from ride height...

Andrew

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Looks like Derek already has it covered, on stock suspended "A" bodies the camber gain from normal ride height to full bump is all positive right up until near contacting the snubber where it starts back out again making the overall handling one step above horrible. Adding tall spindles (ask around for how feel about those) will correct THAT problem, but not without adding a different but equally frustrating set of new ones like bad bump steer, slower steering ratio, decreased turning radius, and still leaving the roll center too low.

There are other alternatives however, ATS has a nice pair of uprights that will fix the ailments without the negative side effects, SC&C can also help with increased height ball joints.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like Derek already has it covered, on stock suspended "A" bodies the camber gain from normal ride height to full bump is all positive right up until near contacting the snubber where it starts back out again making the overall handling one step above horrible. Adding tall spindles (ask around for how feel about those) will correct THAT problem, but not without adding a different but equally frustrating set of new ones like bad bump steer, slower steering ratio, decreased turning radius, and still leaving the roll center too low.

There are other alternatives however, ATS has a nice pair of uprights that will fix the ailments without the negative side effects, SC&C can also help with increased height ball joints.
I have the ATS spindles. I am just waiting to buy the GW lowers for me to install all that stuff :hurray:

I happy to know that the taller spindles correct the positive camber gain issue.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Yep,the stock camber curves are bass ackwards. There more bad news regardign the roll center location and bumpsteer too among other things. It`s usually MUCH easier to see this stuff than it is to explain it. You can see a graphic representation here http://www.scandc.com/suspensionspecs.htm Just look at G body,it`s practically a clone of A body suspension. Notice how the + camber gain literally lifts the tires contact patch off the road surface. Also note that in stock form the roll center migrates laterally almost three feet! Bad juju. :yes: The AFX tall spindles used with our adj. arms and alignment specs are quite similar to the G-5 G body package,just for reference. Mark SC&C

·
Registered
15,850 Posts
So what's the quick and dirty fix, limit suspension travel with high spring rates, big anti-roll bars, and lots of static neg. camber?
If this were 1975, yes. ;) Today, you can use the tall balljoints that Mark sells ( www.scandc.com ) to change the curve in the right direction, and his adjustable upper A-arms to achieve proper alignment specs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts