Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I give up....

The + battery cable has 2 leads on it, a 4 guage, and 10? guage cable. The 4 guage goes to the starter, and the 10 guage goes to the "Battery Positive Cable Junction Block".

I don't see any other cables going to that dude. What is it? What does it do? Can I get rid of it.

For grins & giggles, I'm thinking about moving my battery back to the smugglers compartment, but I don't necessarily want to run a 10 guage cable all the way back up to the grille.

What gives?

>>>Rod<<<

------------------
>>>Rod<<<
A.C.E.S. # 2894
Team Chevelle #115

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
That junction block is where several other wires should come to. On a '72 this junction is a post on the horn relay behind the brake booster and has wires that go to the fuse block and other places.

·
Registered
321 Posts
That little dude is supposed to feed battery power to everything except the starter. It is solely through this little guy that the driving compartment gets power for dash, lights, etc.

If I remember correctly, the forward lighting harness sends a lead to the battery junction block, which connects to the horn relay and eventually to the firewall into fuse block.

The forward lighting harness also sends a bundle to the alternator, which then sends juice to the voltage regulator, which sends juice to the horn relay, etc.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. This was written from memory w/o the aid of the wiring diagram.

Does you car run with nothing hooked up to this, Rod? It must be modified if it does.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmm...

well, the connection is right in front (more or less) of the battery, up on the the grill/headlight support. I think that it sits between the headlights - it's raining outside right now (very rare) or I'd go out and look to verify.

But, as I say, I see no other wires running to it - or at least not obvious to me. It sounds like I'd better take a real close look, with a flashlight!

As far as modified - I'm the latest of several owners. The last owner had it 9 years, and I think that he "dorked" up several items, that were hidden during the sale. Since it wasn't a local car, I had no knowledge of his ownership habits, or those that went before him.

Let the buyer beware. But that's okay, I'm happy with the car, and I'm doing to it, what I want - but it sures seems like I've had to correct way too many things on the way to getting it like I want.

TIA,

>>>Rod<<<

------------------
>>>Rod<<<
A.C.E.S. # 2894
Team Chevelle #115

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Alright, here's what I know based on my 1970, I've also seen this as far back as a'67 Chevelle I believe.

There is a small plastic junction block near the radiatior mounting near the battery. We all know the "big" wire from the (+) battery terminal goes to the starter itself. The other "wire" (it is actually a fusible link that burns up if there is a dangerous electrical short) that also leaves the (+) terminal of the battery.

This "little" wire goes to the junction block in question. It meets (on my '70 it's a red wire) a wire that feeds the following after passing through the front of the car to the fuse block:

All the interior lights
Heater/accessories
Headlights
(well just about everything)

But the most important thing it does (I know this from experience) is it feeds power to the ignition switch that sends juice to the starter solenoid. YOUR CAR WILL NOT START WITHOUT THE SEEMINGLY POINTLESS LITTLE WIRE because the solenoid is what engages the 12 volts from the starter wire.

I found this out when I had my dad try to start the engine when I had left off the fusible link wire.
No start!

That's the whole point of the junction block, makes it easy to disconnect the fusible link wire in case it blows.
It's a safety thing you see, as well as confusing!

If your car doesn't have this yet runs and seems to work right, somebody's jury rigged something. And they most likely did it without knowing the point of that "little" wire--kinda dangerous without fuse protection.

I hope this helps.

Joe

[This message has been edited by Coppertop (edited 07-13-99).]

[This message has been edited by Coppertop (edited 07-13-99).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.