Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to change gears in my 65 Chevelle, and I was thinking that now is a good time to maybe go with a complete axel assembly that has posi.
It seems I need to scavange a 64-72? 54" rear assembly (backing plate to backing plate).
A few questions:
1)Do you know which cars I can get this off of? Or where I can find out.
2)How do I tell from the junk yard wheather it's a posi unit or not, as most times it's not attached to the car?
3)The gear ratio it has?
And thanks to Bigblock for all his helpful
advice.
Thanks, jack

·
Registered
37 Posts
Jack:
Check out some of the posts over the last month or two for rear end info. There has been a lot of input on axel swaps in early Chevelles.
The pre 68 rear end is about 1" narrower than the 68 and newer but either rear will bolt into your car. Tire clearance will change if you use a newer rear end so check yours to be sure if it will work before you buy.
GaryR

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks, Gary. I didn't want to get out my soapbox again.

Jack-look in the Engine & Drivetrain section going back to about mid October for a whole pile of info.

As for the ratios, either buy "Chevrolet by the numbers" or figure them out by turning the input yoke, counting turns to get a full axle revolution.

------------------

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,699 Posts
To see if it's a posi, turn the pinion yoke while someone holds one axle. If it tries to turn both axles the same direction, it's a posi. If it turns the free axle in reverse (if you turn the pinion clockwise), it's not a posi. von

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,699 Posts
To see if it's a posi, turn the pinion yoke while someone holds one axle. If it tries to turn both axles the same direction, it's a posi. If it turns the free axle in reverse (if you turn the pinion clockwise), it's not a posi. von

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.