Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 72 SS 402 with a Turbo 400. I have a 12 bolt rear end but it is a 2.73 open. I am wanting to convert to a posi-trac. Can this be done in the 12 bolt housing with new gears or do I have to find the whole axle. Also, what are the ratios for the posi-tracs and what axle codes should I look for.

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Kevin
Order a FREE catalog from Summitt or Jegs. You'll feel like a kid in a candy store. Both have a large selection of gears and posi units that will fit your car. When you think you know what you want, post it in the drive train or performance section and you'll get lots of advice and ideas.

www.jegs.com or
www.summitracing.com

------------------
Rick Schaefer
72 El Camino
ACES # 00140

·
Registered
225 Posts
Kevin,

You will have to buy a posi unit, but your axles, ring & pinion gears will work with the new posi, unless you are planning on changing the ratio.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a 10 bolt 8.2" 3.08 open end, and converted it to a Lockrite locker with 3.73 gears with a spacer, and it is GREAT. I can hear a litle bit of ticking while going around corners(the locker is unlocking). But it is very strong. You should have no problem changing ratios to the 3 series, as long as you use a spacer. But, if you are running a lot of power, it might be worth it to get a new axle with a higher carrier as not to break under pressure.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
If your looking at keeping your car. I would go with the Eaton unit that Austey's offer for about $359 not including the install kit and if you want to change gear ratios. this is a rebuildable unit. unlike the audburn unit that not.My .02

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.