Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much resistance is there when turning one axle on a posi rear, while holding the opposite side? Is it possible to do the above on a posi that is still operational? I just bought one that I can hold, while someone else can turn the other side, however, it does take some effort.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If it really is a posi & you can turn one side by hand while somebody else holds the other it is very sick. Probobly the springs & clutches are toast.

With new stuff a real strong guy may be able to just turn one side with a tire installed (better leverage). If you are thinking about buying this rear end go ahead, & plan on rebuilding it. If it's already yours, figure on a rebuild soon.

------------------

·
Registered
71 Posts
There is an actual figure in the Chevrolet chassis overhaul manual for '66 chevelles. As I remember it, it should take 45 ft/lbs. to break free a stock posi. I'll dig out this manual and recheck the specs to be sure, watch for new post in the next week. Bryan

·
Registered
71 Posts
OK, I've checked my '66 manual (also covers ChevyII & vette); it says thatit should take NO LESS than 40 ft/lbs. to break free a limited slip. This figure is the same for both the Dana and Eaton types. Hope this helps, sorry for the delay in responding.
Bryan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.