Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the guy i bought my 68 chevelle from gave me a box with the number 910-48602 and it says speedway motors.On the description tag it says mini spool 65-70.
the guy i got it from told me it was the posi gears and if i wanted to put them in i could but it would be a bi**h to drive around town especially when turning corners.but!!!some one else told me that they didnt sound like a posi that a posi was a differential or some crazy term like that!!it was awhile ago!!
THE DESCRIPTION:it has two big cogs,two big shims,two small cogs and two small shims!!is this a posi if so would it be o.k to run on the street.one of the small cogs is kinda worn alittle on the surface between each grove is it bad?????i have just the stock rear gears a th350 and 383.what do you guys think??
i dont know anything about gears and trannys,ratios etc.....whats up and any tips that would increase perf would be great appreciated?

also what are the biggest gears you can run on highway runs without killing your car??????cause i heard if you run bigger gears itll kil your engine???

[This message has been edited by mykes68 (edited 09-22-2001).]

·
Registered
75 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mykes68:
the guy i bought my 68 chevelle from gave me a box with the number 910-48602 and it says speedway motors.On the description tag it says mini spool 65-70.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You've just answered your question, A mini spool, not a posi unit.
A posi unit allows for slippage of the axles in turns and a spool locks the two axles together, thus the hard turning

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so what you are saying is that this isnt a posi,that it is a device to lock the rear wheels so the only difference is that a posi allows slippage of the axles when turning and this keeps them locked all the time???

is there more differences between the two?

wouldnt this "minispool" be better for strip runs than a posi?or no??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.