Team Chevelle banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Vendor
9,640 Posts
That’s kind of what I thought. I know most people don’t think the 270 rr oval is even close to big enough for a 540bbc, but they make my car move pretty good. So if a stock cnc version can make 700hp at 6300, could a ported set make even more power at 6300?

My heads and can we’re both spaced by Mike Lewis originally for the purpose of being a street only car and having good manners at low rpm cruising. And he nailed the combo.

Im just now trying to get the most out of this setup.

Maybe a good option is to have the heads and intake ported and get flow numbers, then get a cam to match the head flow?

As is it’s a hydraulic roller cam but I couldn’t stand the noise and valve float of the morel sportsman lifters no matter how tight we set them, so it’s now a hybrid set up as I’m running isky ez solid rollers lashed at about .004 cold
If you want more power then yes getting the heads ported is what will be needed. We have a CNC program for that. Billy Fisher that is here has worked with Brodix on several projects over the years since leaving Childress. After the heads and intake have been ported then cam can be designed. If you need a quote drop me an email to [email protected]

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I would look at porting the intake. What is your exhaust set up? Pipe size, x pipe or H pipe, what mufflers? There could be quite a gain to be found there.
What carb, venturi and throttle bore sizes?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Yeah

No plans to really race this car at a track. I just drive it on the street and occasionally run against the car that’s next to me. I enjoy driving may car. I know there’s always someone faster. As a true street car that I can drive long distances it holds its ground pretty good. Just looking to get the most out of it like everyone else

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Pockets

Intake is a strip dominator with a pro systems 950 carb( equivalent to a 1050 Holley I’m told)

2” primary hooker headers 3.5” collectors
3” with an x pipe into hooker aerochamber (straight through) muuflers. Dumped right before the diff

Reactions: pockets

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Pockets

Intake is a strip dominator with a pro systems 950 carb( equivalent to a 1050 Holley I’m told)

2” primary hooker headers 3.5” collectors
3” with an x pipe into hooker aerochamber (straight through) muuflers. Dumped right before the diff
I think you would pick up nicely with porting the intake, or an intake change to a Brodix HV2017 or even a performer rpm air gap. Your intake has 1.85"x1.6" port openings. A performer rpm air gap has 1.94"x1.6, and the HV2017 is ported to match your heads and a Fel Pro 1210 gasket which is 2.05"x1.82".

See this thread.

·
Registered
67 Camaro SS/RS L78 M20 Convertible
398 Posts
I think you would pick up nicely with porting the intake, or an intake change to a Brodix HV2017 or even a performer rpm air gap. Your intake has 1.85"x1.6" port openings. A performer rpm air gap has 1.94"x1.6, and the HV2017 is ported to match your heads and a Fel Pro 1210 gasket which is 2.05"x1.82".

See this thread.
good idea with the HV2017.

it the biggest dual plane if i am not mistaken.

Made 765 hp on a 598 from shafiroff.
It lost 30hp compared to the usual dominator with single plan setup if memory serves right.
But in contrast to what scott proclaims in the video, the intake is not 1.5" lower than a performer rpm, but mayb 0.15" or 1/8"..
A little bit but still it serves power levels beyond those of the tiny bit taller performer rpm.
good job from brodix..

I think its the best approach for maximizing power everywhere in a sub 800hp street BBC

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
It’s a really cool piece. Can’t believe it took so long for someone to come out with something like that

my old 502 had the rpm air gap but I had swapped it out for the single plane intake when I did a custom cam in that motor. I dont feel it killed any of the low end back thenand I was trying to help the top end

I had cleanes up the ports on the strip dominator myself when I built the 540. Nothing crazy just tried to match the gaskets

·
Registered
4,065 Posts

See this thread.
An Air Gap would work great, if my buddy cam make 802hp with one with his 505 BBC then those dual planes work pretty well. I think he could make one work and it will fit under the hood too.

·
Registered
12,950 Posts
Porting a BB single plane is one of the more rewarding pieces...easy to get into tight spaces for sure.
Is that DP you guys are talking about the low rise that makes all kinds of killer power?
Think I posted it here under a yr ago YT has a vid on it. Impressive piece.
Supposedly designed for his own car

·
Premium Member
3,181 Posts
I have had a set of the rect port RaceRites (sorry not ovals) ported by Mike Stark of CFM Performance here in Indy. They started out as 294cc and after porting was 310cc. Originally had them ported in 2012, and had Mike freshen them up and "tweak" them a little last year (see both flow sheets below). Last year with the fresh heads I also installed a Straub solid roller (see signature below) and bumped the comp ratio up slightly in my 496. Runs real good. ;)(y):cool:
Mike also performs his magic on the oval ports. He does real nice work.

Font Material property Parallel Paper Event
Font Parallel Paper Magenta Circle

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
Hey guys

That was the info I was looking for in both cases

The 270 oval is the same casting as the 294. Brodix just cuts to a rectangular port, so final results should be similar. I was in contact with a few of the top porting guys here and one actually referred me to one of the others. I thought that great and honest of him. He told me that Eric Wiengartner was the go to man for the Brodix race rites. Im sure all these guys could achieve similar results though.

Eric numbers on a 4.310 bore are strong and on a bigger bore they increase again. So with my 4.500 bore they should flow strong and he is suggesting we upgrade to 2.300 intake valves. I think this will help keep the intake/exhaust flow far apart so that the split in my existing cam should take advantage of this setup once they are ported

so the end product should be a 295cc real oval port intake and he will do a full port on the intake as well.

there will be a chassis dyno done before and after. very eager to see what we can get out of this real street combo

edit:

also this will allow me to keep all my existing valve train parts which will help keep costs down. My goal isa to maximize the power in my existing rpm range. Not throw on some big heads and cam and make crazy power but can't cruise it at 2100rpm. The cam should make power to 6300 and im sure it will pull to 6500. it already does and with this head and intake it should only benefit I believe

thanks guys. I will post my before and after results. as is dyno should be in 2weeks. Post dyno will probably be early next year.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
10,999 Posts
Hey guys

That was the info I was looking for in both cases

The 270 oval is the same casting as the 294. Brodix just cuts to a rectangular port, so final results should be similar. I was in contact with a few of the top porting guys here and one actually referred me to one of the others. I thought that great and honest of him. He told me that Eric Wiengartner was the go to man for the Brodix race rites. Im sure all these guys could achieve similar results though.

Eric numbers on a 4.310 bore are strong and on a bigger bore they increase again. So with my 4.500 bore they should flow strong and he is suggesting we upgrade to 2.300 intake valves. I think this will help keep the intake/exhaust flow far apart so that the split in my existing cam should take advantage of this setup once they are ported

so the end product should be a 295cc real oval port intake and he will do a full port on the intake as well.

there will be a chassis dyno done before and after. very eager to see what we can get out of this real street combo

edit:

also this will allow me to keep all my existing valve train parts which will help keep costs down. My goal isa to maximize the power in my existing rpm range. Not throw on some big heads and cam and make crazy power but can't cruise it at 2100rpm. The cam should make power to 6300 and im sure it will pull to 6500. it already does and with this head and intake it should only benefit I believe

thanks guys. I will post my before and after results. as is dyno should be in 2weeks. Post dyno will probably be early next year.
Eric does some good YouTube vids, I was watching one he was working on a set of Brodix 270's, great info in his Vids and looks like he's been porting a long time and knows his way around heads & intakes

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
RickyHill

Yup its me again. I had been in contact with the porting guy from Toronto, but had many things going at the time and never went through with it. this year im committed to doing some changes and will do them as soon as the snow comes. Im excited to to get before and after dyno results too. There seems to be a divide in those who feel it will pick up some noticeable gains and some who don't. I'm just as curious as them. like I said I'm choosing to go with Eric as he seems to specialize in these specific heads, although im sure there are many other talented porters who could attain similar results. Just nice knowing there's no guess work for the job at this point.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
10,999 Posts
RickyHill

Yup its me again. I had been in contact with the porting guy from Toronto, but had many things going at the time and never went through with it. this year im committed to doing some changes and will do them as soon as the snow comes. Im excited to to get before and after dyno results too. There seems to be a divide in those who feel it will pick up some noticeable gains and some who don't. I'm just as curious as them. like I said I'm choosing to go with Eric as he seems to specialize in these specific heads, although im sure there are many other talented porters who could attain similar results. Just nice knowing there's no guess work for the job at this point.
If I ever had my Race Rite 294 R port CNC 115cc chamber option heads that I bought from Mike Lewis ported it would be done by Eric

41 - 60 of 60 Posts