Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the tired 307 from my 71 and have just installed a 350. The 350 has a Q-jet (four bbl) and is otherwise stock except for a mild cam. My question is, do I connect the distributor vacuum advance to ported or manifold vacuum? I want to set it up the way a 350s were set up at the factory. Thanks

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the vaccuum advance was connected to a little fitting on the base of the carb. My 307 and 350 both had it at the front (they were 2BBL's though). Hope this helps.

------------------
Ian McDermott
Columbia University
New York, NY.
1970 Chevelle SS 396
[email protected]
chevelle.dhs.org

·
Registered
104 Posts
should be a tube at the bottom of the q-jet just left of center this is ported vaccuum hook your advance line there.......

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
My advice is to try both and see which one gives you the best performance/driveability.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS)

·
Registered
246 Posts
It should be hooked up to a ported (above throttle plates) source. Otherwise you're going to get vacuum advance at idle - not just mechanical.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Interesting to hear all these replies. I tried mine both ways & I swear (not out loud!) that it works better with manifold vacuum. I set the timing with it plugged off so as not to have the advance interfere with the timing setting. When I reconnected the vacuum, the idle picked up due to the advance, but I dialed the idle down a little & it runs great. A mechanic friend of mine said it should be on the ported, but I'm happy with it as is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.