Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased all these products and already done my frame and firewall with the por 15. I will sandblast my headers today and get the engine ready to be painted with their engine enamel. If some of you would like for me to take pictures of the results let me know and I will post some for everyone to see.

http://www.por15.com

[This message has been edited by stevenb8 (edited 09-01-99).]

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
YES! I would LOVE to see this pictures since I was considering doing this when I replace my old headers. Thanks!

-Joe Y.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, give me about week to paint my engine and headers and I will post all the pics for Por-15,Por-20 and their engine paint.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I don't want to scare you, but I used the POR 15 High Temp Cast Gray Paint, on my exhuast manifolds. I took the manifolds off of the engine and sandblasted them. I drove the car to one cruise, about 30 miles round trip and then put the car away for the winter. It was the being of November. I went to check on my elky, around Christmas, and the paint on the manifolds was starting to rust. By the time April came around the manifolds had almost completly rerusted, now the manifolds look like **** and I'm totally disatisfied w/ Por 15's product. I did however hear nothing but good words about the rest of their products.

[This message has been edited by elcamino72 (edited 09-01-99).]

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will be using this on a set of headers and not exhaust manifolds. I am not using the high temp cast iron gray, I will be using the por-20 alum. It has a temp rating of 1400 degrees. I just hope it does as well as the por-15 frame paint.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I used POR-15 manifold paint as instructed. My cast manifolds look great after 400 miles.

I used the POR-15 engine paint. Yuk. I was told to paint the engine with the black and then put the orange over it. The black flowed on great. I put 3 coats of orange on and couldn't get an even coat. It kept streaking. I'll be curious to see how yours turns out.

------------------
Jerry Acheson
Indianapolis, IN
64 Malibu SS 327 PG/PS/AC

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used por-15 cast iron grey on a set of 64 327 manifolds. The color turned out to be more silver than I was expecting. I called Por-15 and they sent me another can: same thing, so I used it anyway. That was this spring. The car now has about 4000 miles on it, and the manifolds are starting to rust. I am very disappointed in there product and will try Eastwood's manifold paint neaxt time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used the por-15 engine kit and it came with silver por-15 and orange paint.I put two coats of silver and two coats of paint and it looks great on the rough surfaces but on smooth surface it does not look as good.I got a lot of brush marks on my new oil pan.

I have the factory manifold gray paint for the manifolds but have not yet put it on.Can anyone post some tips on the manifolds.I know if you don't clean them right the rust will come back.

George

------------------
66SS Arlington,TX
[email protected]
Team Chevelle Gold#161
96 Impala SS
Hoss Impala #216

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am a big fan of POR, however I am not happy with their engine paint. The color doesn't seem to be correct and I had a big problem with runs, etc. Once dry it is very glossy, like there is a coat of clear. I guess if you like that it is okay, but I was hoping for something more original looking and now don't know what to do. I am thinking of going out now and buying some Chevy orange in a spray can and painting over the POR. What a waste!

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Hey stevenb8,

Sorry to drag this post out of the archives, but I was doing a search on POR-20 as header paint. Did you ever post any pictures? If not, does anyone else have any pictures of POR-20 on headers? Thanks, TK

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I have the pictures but I have no way of posting them to this site. I do have a scanner but it will not let me attatch a file when I tried months ago. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Take 'em! I need all the help I can get

·
Registered
341 Posts
DITTO on the POR 15. I used it my Formal Chevelle on the floor pans, frame rails, etc., thought this stuff was great. Bought brand new headers, had them sandblated, washed them down with laquer thinner, then painted them with black POR exhaust paint. That stuff has burned off in some areas. They would not refund my money but sent me another can of paint...It's still unopened.

------------------
69 SS396 69 Malibu Ragtop
70 Monte 72 El Camino
Team Chevelle Gold #33
ACES Member #02913
Chevelle Club of Michigan
Rode shotgun in the ONLY Z16 convertible made.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just got done painting my block with the POR-15 kit and I love the look, just my opinion. One coat of silver and two orange. Yes it is glossy, but solid...like it will never come off! I also used POR-15 on my frame and underbody/firewall...all very nice results. I would not, however, use it on manifolds or header....let jet hot take care of that one!!! I can take a pic and send it along to anyone that wants to see my block...sneal46

PS-doing the heads tomorrow!!!

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Ok, ok, my understanding of the product is that POR-15 is not intended for painting headers or manifolds. At least that's what I gather from their product descriptions. So I can't really blame POR-15 for not sticking to headers.
That's why they make POR-20 and their high-heat paint. For manifolds and headers. That's what I'm asking about.
Anyone used POR-20 on headers?

As for posting pictures on TC - you need to find a web site somewhere and upload the pictures there. Then you simply include the URL (web link pointer) to your pictures within the content of your post.
Thx, TK

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TK; yes i used por-20 on my headers and the look great but to be honest I really cant tell you the full results yet because My motor has only about 1 hr on it. I just rebuilt a 468 for it and used the po-15 engine paint and por-20 for headers. I also used the por-15 on the frame firewall suspension. I believe they all look awesome but you really cant go by my judgement because they really havent seen any street time yet.

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
I used the POR Engine Painting Kit on my 401 Buick, and it came out great except for the valve covers (runs). My dad gave me the rest of his Bill Hirsch gray cast exhaust finish, and that stuff still looks perfect 1 year later, and the car has been outside for 9 out of the 12 months! I highly recommend it, though I don't think it'll be good on headers.

·
Premium Member
18,160 Posts
Heres a thought although more expnsive. But the cost is justified in my opinion. Why not have your headers or manifolds coated. Companies like Jet-hot, HPC, and Airbourne Coatings offer these services and I really think there worth it. They last forever. The heat stays inside the pipe, lowering underhood temps. They offer warranties on thier services. And you can choose what finish you want. Stock or a shiny chrome like appearance. These companies advertise in most high performance magazenes like Car Craft, Hot Rod, Chevy HP, and Super Chevy. Thats the way I would go.

Chris R.

·
Premium Member
5,542 Posts
I have Hooker Competition headers on my 69 SS396 and will be going the Jet Hot route in the spring. I wouldn't do them any other way.

------------------
Dan Orgill
" It's not the heat, it's the stupidity. "

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.