Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used the por-15 marine clean, then the rust neutralizer, then applied the POR-15 paint to my control arms. It doesn't appear to be sticking all that well - it scratches off fairly easily. The control arms were meticuloulsly cleaned before painting. The paint was left out in the garage over the winter - would that cause this problem?

Thanks!
Mike

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They were still rusty. All of the loose rust and all of the grease were gone, but they still had some rust on the surface.

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Did you wait approx. 24 hours between letting the Zinc etching prep "breath" before applying the POR-15. A called a rep about 2 years ago when I was doing the back window in my '70. I think he might have even said 36 hours between their prep and then POR top coat or it wouldn't "breath out" enough.

Did you neutralize with PLENTY OF WATER after the etching zinc stuff was applied??

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
That was it Mike. Metal Ready will leave a powdery residue when it has dried completely. After the Metal Ready has dried off overnight, I usually take a dry cloth, such as cheesecloth, and wipe the surface down before painting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.