Chevelles.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've got my 71 chevelle completly disassembled and was wondering if por-15 would be okay to spray the interior metal with. i've got minor floorboard rust and have heard great things about por 15. that it stops and prevents rust. one question will it good for it and can i spray it on. in the catalog there always brushing it on. I would really appreciate the help thankyou

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I brush POR on, for a couple reasons.
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> Smooth finish with hobby grade brushes,
<LI> throw away the brush, minimal clean up required,
<LI> POR is deadly stuff to inhale, so not worth sprayin'.
[/list]

I have done inside my trunk, inside on floors, frame rail (sections), gas tanks, radiator shrouds, and my 12 bolt rear end. The brush is the way to go.

·
Registered
547 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
My vote would be brushing. This stuff is self leveling and when it dries it looks like powder coating. I brushed it all over on my b/o resto. Frame, suspension, floorbaords, wheelwells, etc. Anyway you get the idea.

------------------
71 SS Chevelle
Muncie M-21 4 Speed
12 Bolt 4:11 Posi
Acting Like it Wasn't Me

·
Registered
659 Posts
I also brush on POR-15, but invest in disposable latex gloves. If you get POR on your skin it’s almost impossible to clean off.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Just got done with my spindles and sway bar last night. Used natural hair brush on first coat and then foam brush on second coat, as per directions. Foam brushes held up fine but maybe my project was too short in time span for them to fall apart.

My first experience with POR and its absolutley fantastic stuff! Cant beat it, my parts came out far better than I expected.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Any advice for painting the underside of the car with the brush upside down. I'm assuming this stuff runs like crazy and don't want paint up to my armpits.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i want to thank all of you that replied. i am convinced now. next problem did you guys all use a topcoat or just the POR-15. and is the the marine degreasor neccessary. does it cover well also. i plan to por-15 my full body frame, my entire interior, and the suspension. will a gallon do it. thanx.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I used a roller and it worked great. I used a small 4 inch roller that was only about an 1-1.5 inch in diameter. It had a very smooth finish. I brought a twelve pack of them at Home Depot. I used the POR Marine-Clean and the stuff worked great. On areas where the grease/grime was heavy I first used Castrol degreaser and then finished with Marine-Clean. May be someone else can say if the M-C is really needed, but everything worked fine with it. I used the Chassis Black topcoat on all exposed surfaces. This both protects the POR and covers the high gloss finish. For areas that will be covered I didn’t use a topcoat. A gallon of POR goes a lone way. I would highly recommend buying 4 one-quart cans. The stuff will film over very fast and if you don’t finish all at once or have some left that you what to save the open can will not last.

Also I used black POR and it is very hard to see wet black paint on a gloss black finish so take your time when you apply the second coat of POR and the topcoat and have good lighting. Be careful if you put the coats one too thick the paint will run.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts