Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to pass along some money saving information for others on a budget.

I needed to thin some POR-15 last night and was out of their "special" (and very expensive) POR Solvent. I read the bottle and it said it was Naptha. So after searching the garage I found a gallon of Coleman Camp Fuel I had bought for a few bucks @ Bi-Mart that also said Naptha on it.

The Coleman Camp Fuel may or may not be the exact same stuff as the POR solvent but it looked the same and smelled the same!:yes:

Anyways I gave it a try as a reducer and the parts turned out perfect!:beers:

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I guess I'll see, but it sure looks OK right now! :D

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
You can buy a gallon of pure naptha at Home Despot or Lowes pretty cheaply in the paint dept. Why risk using a product that may have other petroleum additives and create an expensive time consuming problem for yourself to save $15 more dollars. Might that not be penny wise and pound foolish?

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Wow, I haven't heard the name Bi-Mart in over 20 years! I shopped at the store in Medford when I lived in Yreka many years ago. Brings back some fond memories of those days. Thanks! 64elkynss

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry guys I drew the line at the taste test! :D

Herb: No, my personal time I spend working on the car is free and to order another quart of thinner/reducer @$20 (that should be $2.00 max) for 2 of the last parts for the car was more then I wanted to spend since I'm broke as $hit right now. :D

You might be right, but only time will tell. I need to find the MSDS's for these things and see...

I was just extending my experience to help others and FWIW, the parts are already bolted to the car and look absolutely terrific!

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
I have a degree in Chemistry and before joining the Army I worked as a Chemist at an Oil and Gas Refinary in Texas. Guess what folks we made Naptha and sold it to many differnet companies. The stuff you buy really cheap is the same stuff that some marketing genius packaged for his/her company, labeled some special name, and charged the consumer (you and I) an arm and a leg for it because the marketing gurus created a niche and made you think you were getting something wonderful and different when all along its the same stuff you get at the Wal Mart, home depot, (insert your favorite store here) and pay a lot less for it. In addition there are only a few places in the US that make refined oil products, so read labels to see where the stuff is made. Many companies do this in the world now and it is up to you and I to read labels and protect our pocket books from big business companies.

Be smart and do your part. Together we as Americans can make ourselves self sufficient again.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Sorry guys I drew the line at the taste test! :D

Herb: No, my personal time I spend working on the car is free and to order another quart of thinner/reducer @$20 (that should be $2.00 max) for 2 of the last parts for the car was more then I wanted to spend since I'm broke as right now. :D
NP Kyle, peace.:) I was just concerned that someone might use something other than naptha, I.E. charcoal lighter, paint brush cleaner with lanolin added, etc.etc. I dont' blame you a bit for using something other than the POR brand product. I was at Carlyle years ago in the Eastwoods tent just looking around and picked up a $12 quart container of their PRE to read the lable. One of their sales guys came over to me and told me what it was and that you can buy it at Home Despot for a few bucks a gallon. He was doing me a favor.

I usually keep a gallon of naptha and mineral spirits and quart of acetone (which is laquer thinner) on the shelf. Most paints call for one or the other of these for thinning or clean up. The naptha and MS are also a good small parts cleaner, the naptha is also great for parts painting prep and wipe down. It's also a great Spot remover (sure do miss that dog) and charcoal lighter:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts