Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sandblasting the frame from my 66 SS396 today. I plan on spraying on black POR-15, then chassis coat black. First off, do I have to use metal ready on the sandblasted frame? Do I have to apply the chassis coat black 5-6 hours after the por-15 is applied, or can I topcoat it anytime after? Do I need to use POR-15 solvent to thin, or can I use laquer thinner? Does anyone have any ideas on how to get a coat of POR-15 on the inside of the frame? (maybe using an old tree sprayer or something)

·
Registered
313 Posts
I can answer one of them. No metal ready is needed when sandblasting. The metal is ideal as is for POR when blasted. Mine came out great with no prep. Good luck on the inside of the frame! I never tried to get the stuf in there, just Rustoleumed what I could reach! I believe you will need to wait a good while before topcoating. Go to www.por15.com, they have their phone numbers and a tech support email, I believe. Good luck.
John Walker

·
Registered
181 Posts
Even RestoMotive claims that sandblasting is sufficient prep for por15. HOWEVER, I would recommend using Metal-Ready anyway. I have some areas where the rust is actually coming thru the POR-15!! Sucks. Restomotive said that I probably had some contaminents in those areas. The Metal-Ready should remove any such problems.

The best solution is powder-coating. I actually had the Por15 sandblasted off my frame, and then had it powder coated. It's not really THAT expensive for what you get.

Good luck!

------------------

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've used POR on pieces that were sandblasted or glass beaded without the Metal-Ready and it seemed to bite and hold fine. It is good to use however because it will leave a phosphate coating on the metal which will help protect against rust. Be sure you don't have any grease or oil left on frame. It will cause fish eyes=no protection.
If you are using POR chassis coat you can topcoat anytime after the groundcoat is cured. Other paints seem to stick well to cured POR15 but it should be scuff sanded. POR recomends their tie-coat primer in between.
As far as the solvent goes, I've seen too many problems from blending products to try it.
I just did my frame with POR. Just fogged it in through all the holes as well as I could. Try to spray the inside first. You'll have runs and drips around the holes that you can wipe with a rag. I like the tree sprayer idea. A flexable nozzel would be great. I thought of undercoating guns but they are too exspensive and would proably flood the frame. Invent something inexpensive and I'll buy it.
Good luck.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
I just did the passenger fenderwell on my 71 with POR 15 and it turned out great. I plan on shooting my frame as well. What I'm thinking about trying to reach inside the frame is one of those cheap sponge scrubbers that you buy at Wal-Mart. It looks like little sponge fingers mounted on the end of a plastic handle. I'm going to soak the sponge end in POR and shove it inside the frame and work it as best as I can. I think they are actually used for scrubbing toilets, but hey, whatever works, right?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.