Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a '66 396 in my 67 ss. about 8 years on the rebuild. recently. the car is just flat dead until i reach about 2400 r's. then it pulls on like it is supposed to. just wondering where to go to find the low end power that sold me on this engine. IV engine code basically stock, HEI ignition,holley 750,weind dual plane. any tips greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I would start with the timing and see if the advance is working. Then I would check and see for vacuum leaks. Then I would look into the carb. Timing should be about 12-16 degrees initial. Then about 32-38 total advance.

------------------
Malibu 307 (aka 406 smblk)
69 SS 396(aka 454)
Wolf in sheeps skin

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Kev, that just shouldn't be. My '67 has a "stock" 325 hp that just rips. Start with what plain69 recommends. We're just going to have to go through a complete diagnostic routine until we find the beast within.

Gene Chas
Gold # 62, ACES
'67 SS 396 ( soon to be a 7000rpm 427 L88 )
what's that like a Green Beret in a Boy Scout uniform?)

Sorry plain69, couldn't resist!

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
kevin
maybe over the years your timing chain has streched a little and a simple re-time would do it. this happened to a freind of mine. re-timed it and it ripped once more. 67rat member #199

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
67Rat, wouldn't bad cam timing occur all the time or does the slack disappear at a certain rpm? Kevins deal is a low end bog and then the RatRip.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
gene,
your right,my freinds car got dead at low end so we re-timed it advancing it a little and it woke up,all we could figure out was the chain had streched a bit.I thought about this a bit,could it be the carb?maybe the advance weights stuck in the advance position.but that dont sound right either.Heres an idea,my chevelle sat for a while with out running and the carb dried out,left behind a gas film that blocked up my accel pump.ran good upper rpm.maybe it is a simple vacuum leak,that kinda sounds more logical.any ideas. hey gene what colors your 67?love that color. 67rat member #199

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.