Team Chevelle banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my son's budget peanut port 454 is about finished and should be at the track before it closes! Because I don't a oval port intake yet ( stealth or rpm air gap not sure yet) I'm going to try this poor 1967 butchered winters L72 intake that was given to me years ago! Someone modified the carb flange to use a 1000 cfm thermoquad many years ago on a manifold that was almost new (as you can see from the manifold bolt picture) but instead of wall art or mancave stuff it's going on the 454 for now with a quadrajet carb! So here is the specks on the motor! What do you guys think it will run? 馃 It will go in my son's 68 Camaro that has gone 13.20s with a 283 ! 454 +.30 speed pro hyper .23 dome pistons, bowl ported and opened up 236 heads with stock size stainless valves, new springs,rotated eliminators, chrome moly retainers, summit 1302 228 238 @ 50 hft cam, a good fresh and jetted Qjet and that mess of a rare intake :mad::p car has 9x28.5 slicks , 4.10 gears and a 3000 stall converter! Oh and the headers I have are 2" hookers

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking forward to hearing how it does!!
I'm also excited to see how it runs! And I can't wait to put on a good oval port intake to see what the difference will be from the mismatched oval to rectangle port deal! My 236 heads are port matched to an oval port gasket so it's not as mismatched as rectangle to peanut port! 馃ぃ

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will also be following this thread. Is this the same car that had the S/S 283 that was given to you?
Yes that's the same car with the stock 283 ! we are going to race the 283 this weekend and then it's coming out and it big block time ! I'm hoping for some low 12s from the peanut 馃 port 454!

Premium Member
1966 Chevelle SS396
Yes that's the same car with the stock 283 ! we are going to race the 283 this weekend and then it's coming out and it big block time ! I'm hoping for some low 12s from the peanut 馃 port 454!
I think that's a very realistic number. With a little tuning, I see some 11's!

Premium Member
I'm also excited to see how it runs! And I can't wait to put on a good oval port intake to see what the difference will be from the mismatched oval to rectangle port deal! My 236 heads are port matched to an oval port gasket so it's not as mismatched as rectangle to peanut port! 馃ぃ
My peanut head 509cid made 528hp/600tq, intake port entry @ gasket surface was not enlarged. Max hp @5300rpm.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What did the Camaro 60' when it ran the 13.2xx?
My son has most of the slips ! But I took a picture of this one a couple of weeks ago he was driving and he only runs 1/8 mile but this was about the same as the quarter mile passes when I went high 20s ,the car has caltracs, stock mono leafs and some generic truck shocks in the rear (that's all I could find that length 馃ぃ)

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My peanut head 509cid made 528hp/600tq, intake port entry @ gasket surface was not enlarged. Max hp @5300rpm.
Wow good power! Love the torque! Numbers! What cam do you have? I remember your head porting pictures and as I recall they were pretty mild, that thing must shred the tires with those small heads and big torque!

Reactions: Janih

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think that's a very realistic number. With a little tuning, I see some 11's!
I hope so ! With this mutilated intake I'm not expecting 11s yet! But when I do some research on the rpm air gap vs the stealth intake I'm thinking it might get some 11 second slips! We also have the brand new 9x30 Hoosiers that I have not put on yet ( they would kill the 283 ETs) saving those to cut those 4.10 down for the 460 馃槈

Premium Member
Wow good power! Love the torque! Numbers! What cam do you have? I remember your head porting pictures and as I recall they were pretty mild, that thing must shred the tires with those small heads and big torque!
Straub hyd roller. I would say that the never 360 casting heads are much better than people think. Not ideal for 500cid engines, but for smaller 396 to 454

Registered
Good for you building the peanut port engine. I know one thing that I was told doesn't help is matching the very small intake port to the oval port gasket, as a matter of fact the way a sq. port intake works so well on an oval port head I do not worry about the mis-match anymore. Must work ok, as my 360 casting peanut port 8:1 compression 461 runs [email protected] The 28X9's will most certainly make it run out at about 1100ft. I found out and the 30X9's really helped.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good for you building the peanut port engine. I know one thing that I was told doesn't help is matching the very small intake port to the oval port gasket, as a matter of fact the way a sq. port intake works so well on an oval port head I do not worry about the mis-match anymore. Must work ok, as my 360 casting peanut port 8:1 compression 461 runs [email protected] The 28X9's will most certainly make it run out at about 1100ft. I found out and the 30X9's really helped.
I too know theres not much in port matching the big blocks I just used the oval gasket as a reference to keep all ports about the same and I took that port size in pretty far and tapered off at the turn and just cleaned up the turn and started again under the valves no polishing just grinding with a carbide porting bit no paper rolls or stones!
Those bias ply 9x30s are out in the shed ready to be mounted! If it goes 3/4 of a second off your peanut port ETs we'll be happy! We switched from a glide to a turbo 350 because one of the dowl pins came out ad the glide case now has a crack ( just by the dowl pin ) so I'm gonna weld it and put the glide back when the 454 goes in!
PS. ... I figured the turbo 350 would help the weak 283 in et and 60' I don't see much difference!
PS.... part 2....we miss garys helpful posts with all those PS ad on's! 馃槦

Attachments

Registered
I too know theres not much in port matching the big blocks I just used the oval gasket as a reference to keep all ports about the same and I took that port size in pretty far and tapered off at the turn and just cleaned up the turn and started again under the valves no polishing just grinding with a carbide porting bit no paper rolls or stones!
Those bias ply 9x30s are out in the shed ready to be mounted! If it goes 3/4 of a second off your peanut port ETs we'll be happy! We switched from a glide to a turbo 350 because one of the dowl pins came out ad the glide case now has a crack ( just by the dowl pin ) so I'm gonna weld it and put the glide back when the 454 goes in!
PS. ... I figured the turbo 350 would help the weak 283 in et and 60' I don't see much difference!
PS.... part 2....we miss garys helpful posts with all those PS ad on's! 馃槦
The turbo 350 will help for sure, if a BBC is making a ton of power and torque then the P/G really helps. I am going t one with my 406's next year as my car just launches way too violently to keep using the turbo 400.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts