Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used Prothane (or another brand) and not used the thrust washers that came with the kit? The reason that I ask is that for some reason when the thrust washers are installed on the arms/bushings, they are way to wide to go into the mounts. Both on the frame and for the upper arms on the differential housing. I am probably going to have to call Prothane in the morning but if I don't have to use the bushings, I wont. The factory rubber bushings didn't use washers and I can't imagine that my cruise night/head turner driver really NEEDS them? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,689 Posts
I used Engery Suspension Poly bushings and it came with 3 different thrust washer depending where you were using them. If you do a search there are alot of opinions on the subject about problems using poly's in the rear. Mine are binding up on me and I may go back to rubber when I remove the rear end to put it in a new frame.
Ray

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
I don't remember getting any kind of washer with rear polygraphite bushings. I don't know if prothane has different requirements...

Tim.

·
Gold Founding Member
10,967 Posts
I don't remember "thrust washers" on my Energy Suspension bushings. But it's been a bunch of years...

I've been convinced that harder bushings increase the "binding" of the rear suspension; but I'm not convinced that it makes any difference on a street-driven vehicle. It probably makes a difference on a road race vehicle.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
And if you do NOT use the thrust washers the poly bushings can work out of their shell until you have metal to metal contact ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.