Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading the posts about Polygraphite Bushings. Was there once polyurethane bushings??? I had a friend redo the front end on his 69 Chevelle SS396 and the damn things started squeaking like a old motel boxspring. He ended up going back to the original rubber and no more squeaks. My question is: Has polygraphite replaced the old polyurethane?? After my buddies experience I dont think I would even attempt to go with anything poly?? It was about 6-7 years ago when this happened. Have things changed since?? or is PolyURETHANE giving polyGRAPHITE a bad name??

------------------
Mike
71 SS454 4spd/with air ElCamino
Gold Member # 149

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently replaced all my rubber bushings with polyurethane ones. Best thing I ever did, helped my handling a bunch. Nowadays the polyurethane is impregnated with some type of lubricant(teflon or graphite, not sure)No noises yet...just my experience.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
There is a difference between PolyUrethane and PolyGraphite. The graphites are all black the urethanes can be any color. If you get Energy Suspension, be sure to get the ones with a "G" as the last digit of the part number. These are graphite impregnated and don't squeak. I have them in both front and rear of my 66.

------------------
Pat Kelley
66 & 67 El Caminos

·
Registered
622 Posts
Polyurethane = semi hard plastic material that causes squeaks after while.
Poly - graphite = polyurethane (poly) that is impregnated with graphite(graphite) - it has all the desirable characteristics of poly without the squeaks.
As far as color; I don't remember the last time I looked at my sway bar bushings, a-frame bushings, etc.so black is fine with me.

------------------
Gotta have a Chevy !

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys.
I was getting confused about the whole POLY thing.
I guess if you dont want the original rubber you should go with the POLYGRAPHITE type.

Is there a noticeable difference in appearance from the orig rubber ones??
I know there is a difference in ride. I would like to keep my car original looking in appearance

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.