Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
They are dry, but, I put poly mounts on my car and it creaks like crazy
when I get in and out. You would want the graphite ones or get some
that you can lub.
They gave me a very sticky silicone base grease, but it only lasted a year.
Then the squeaking and creaking started

·
Registered
579 Posts
i have the same ones, looking for washers for them as my originals are no good. they did come with sticky grease. it only lasted one year?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I've never seen urethane body bushings squeak or creek. If they are torqued correctly @35-40lbf there's no reason they should move enough to squeak by getting in or out of the car. I can definately see suspension bushings squeaking over time. But body bushings causing a squeak just from getting out of the car? Weird man!

·
Registered
579 Posts
i was thinking the same thing, if they are tight i would not expect them to squeak.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
It sounds like you already have your poly body bushings but I have to question the wisdom of poly body bushings for anything other than a drag car where you want as much stiffness or rigidity as possible. Everything that I've read seems to indicate that there are as many minuses as there are pluses for a driver.

I just replaced the original bushings on my '70 SS Elky driver with rubber bushings along with rubber front suspension bushings and there is a noticeable difference from the old, tired parts as you can imagine. The car rides a lot stiffer, bumps are more noticeable and I've developed a few squeaks and rattles that I never had before. It sounds like the even stiffer poly bushings would compound the situation even more.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
A "street car" means a lot of different things to a lot of different people... my "street" chevelle has poly body mounts (too soft, may go with aluminum or delrin if I pull the body again to do the 3-link and add more frame bracing in a couple years), solid metal-on-metal bushings/bearings at all 16 suspension pickup points, and springs about twice as stiff as the originals. The ride is still smoother than newer compact cars I've ridden in.

Also, poly body mounts will not squeak... your car may squeak, but I assure you, it's not the body-mount that's squeaking, as there are no "rubbing" or "sliding" surfaces.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Oh gosh, with these horror stories, my Aluminum mounts will basically start an earthquake when I get in and out of the car ;)

Like Derek said, there is no rubbing or sliding on the bushings that can be done. All it literally does is tie the frame & body together, and the harder the material, the less compression between them can be done. Since the new poly bushings will be stiffer, they won't absorb all of the short-comings of the rest of the car ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts