Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Would You Hook Up An Overflow Bottle Of Any Kind

• Yes it wont hurt and it will allow me to add more volume to my system

Votes: 36 69.2%
  • No it is not needed and was never intended

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Only if it was hidden and simple

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • This is dumb. I am just voting to add to my post count

Votes: 1 1.9%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am putting a lot of things back together after a mild frame off. When I sent my car out it had an overflow bottle hooked up. It was hidden behind the battery and made from an old windshield washer bottle. It was left over from my previous radiator that had a leak down the tank seam and I mistakenly thought it was overflowing. I acquired a new radiator but still left the overflow hooked up but dont believe the radiator ever actually overflowed.
I am making an effort to return to a somewhat more stock appearance but have several aftermarket items such as headers, intake, fuel pressure gauge, etc that I wont change, so I will never be considered stock under the hood.
Just tossing around the idea of hooking this overflow bottle back up or ditching it once and for all.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,733 Posts
Since you already have it might as well hook it up

·
Premium Member
12,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Rick, you posted before I could put up the poll.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
My thoughts for a driver or cruiser and a mild engine. It is not needed. My driver is a 70-with a mild 468 engine and a copper brass 4 row. In the 7-8 years and 36.000 miles of driving no cooling issues.
Then again, It may not be needed, But if you want it, Do what makes you happy.
Bob

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,733 Posts
Darn I got caught, does that mean I double dipped, just kidding, I can't see it hurting anything either way...darn did I just vote again

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
My El Camino has one. I like having one, and would always recommend one unless you are trying to keep a specific look under the hood. Mine is not original at all, but still fairly stock, just stock from different years. I am willing to put anything on to help with drivability and durability. I also like how I can peek at the reservoir and see if it is dry or not. Mine is an aftermarket milk jug type of plastic mounted where the horns mount.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
See for sure if you actually need it. If not, don't use it. Simple to hook up if you find you're puking a little.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
If you ever want to make some runs at the track you will need one. Tech at my local track will not sign a tech card for anyone without an overflow. I've heard people whine and cry about it, but the tech guys are right. Antifreeze is slippery, it's a 30 minute clean up if car pukes some on the track for any distance.

Steve R

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
I personally wouldn't go to the trouble of adding one because they are not needed but that's just me.
It certainly won't hurt anything to have one other than make the car look a little more "not like original"
Need for the Track and every new car has one .

My El Camino has one. I like having one, and would always recommend one unless you are trying to keep a specific look under the hood. Mine is not original at all, but still fairly stock, just stock from different years. I am willing to put anything on to help with drivability and durability. I also like how I can peek at the reservoir and see if it is dry or not. Mine is an aftermarket milk jug type of plastic mounted where the horns mount.
:thumbsup:

I like them, they keep the rad full at all times. I consider it an up grade like better brakes, steering, tires etc.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

If you ever want to make some runs at the track you will need one. Tech at my local track will not sign a tech card for anyone without an overflow. I've heard people whine and cry about it, but the tech guys are right. Antifreeze is slippery, it's a 30 minute clean up if car pukes some on the track for any distance. Steve R
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
Brad
I could not vote in the Poll as none of them seemed to apply

# 1
for a proper Closed Overflow system you fill the Rad to the proper level,
which is 1" or so down from the Rad Cap Hole to allow for normal coolant expansion
so if you put coolant in your Overflow Bottle and your Rad needs to puke it it has no place to go
if you have to add coolant to your system/rad often then something is wrong/there is a problem
I change my car's Coolant every Spring from Winter Coolant Strength to what I run for the Summer
and never have to worry about it, it pukes some into the Bottle when Hot then sucks it back in when Cooled down

# 2
All new vehicles have a Overflow system for a reason and therefore this is the reason old thinking/technology was updated

# 3
I put in a closed system in my car not only because I would be going to the Track
but because it was better not to have to check the level of the coolant in my car's rad all the time
to see if there was enough to keep the old girl running at a good temp

# 4
N/A ever

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Brad, I consider it an upgrade and a bit easier to monitor fluid levels. I added it close to the windshield washer fluid bottle. I know, not near original, but seem to work well and not too offensive to look at.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I use the washer jar as an overflow. My washer pump doesn't work and I don't drive the car in the winter where I would need washers anyway. It looks original.

·
Premium Member
17,566 Posts
Are you looking at an overflow (catch can), or a coolant recovery system (expansion tank)?

And overflow will collect the excess coolant that is puked out if the car gets too hot... This is NOT what newer vehicles use.

Newer vehicles use a coolant recovery system where the hot coolant is sent to the recovery bottle, and then as the temps cool, system pressure is reduced, and the excess coolant is drawn back into the system under a vacuum...

IIRC, the coolant recovery system has some specific requirements, such as the height relative to the radiator, specific radiator caps, etc...

Not only do race tracks require an overflow, but they can also be helpful when you get stuck in heavy traffic (unforeseen?). I have had some well-sorted -out cooling systems, but still they would tend to puke some fluid maybe once a year, so it was nice not to see it splash/spray all over the under carriage (what a mess) or leave a big puddle on the ground... Granted, I typically filled the radiator nearly full so it really needed some extra expansion volume...

I used to use the windshield washer bottle, and at one time I used a plastic bicycle water bottle and bracket... I drilled a hole and mounted a nipple for the hose. I mounted a bicycle water bottle bracket under the inner fender (bolted to the bumper bracket). Clean, effective and out of the way... Not too difficult to empty the excess coolant (not needed very often) but did require lying on the ground to reach under the bumper...

·
Administrator
16,207 Posts
I use a coolant recovery system for 2 reasons. First to keep coolant from flowing on the ground and the chassis of the car and second to keep air out of the system. The space left in the stock system is air, air or oxygen is needed to start the rust process.

I place the container in front of the core support lower than the top of the radiator, paint it black so it isn't easily noticed.
On my wagon I added a hood latch support brace, mounted the transmission cooler on one and the recovery tank on the other.

·
Premium Member
3,595 Posts
I use both, mounted the recovery to balance out the radiator cap on the other side:

Attachments

Reactions: dmg1029

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
I use both, mounted the recovery to balance out the radiator cap on the other side:
I like the look Ron. Where in Oregon are you? I'm in Astoria.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts