Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am polishing trim pieces on 66' Chevelle rather than re-anodizing. I have seen numerous cars at shows that have gone this route. Anyone have recommendations as to the best method for stripping the old anodization off prior to polishing the aluminum pieces? I have heard that oven cleaner works but I don't know how long to leave it on .... or if there is risk using this type of chemical on aluminum. Any suggestions?? Thx.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Chemical cleaning of alum is about half dangerous if you are not very careful. Just after shiney is a terrable blackining. Timming and chemical strength are "important" factors. Best to just 00 steel wool and elbow grease.
Harley

·
Registered
287 Posts
Oven cleaner is VERY DANGEROUS. I used it on someones suggestion and it was very unpleasant. The oven cleaner severely stained the aluminum and was a bear to get clean afterwards. I wound up using ultrafine steel wool and some elbow grease and managed to do it that way. Then a little buffing on the wheel and some clear Por15 and it came out beautiful.

By the way... There was some excellent discussion on it in Body Shop about a week ago, you should maybe try to search it up and follow the thread. There were some excellent solutions there for rejuvinating the bright work.

Hope it Helps

------------------
The proud owner of a Canadian 64-SS with ZZ4 Power!
Team Chevelle Gold Member #37
Canadian Classic Chevelles & Beaumonts Member #350

·
Registered
20 Posts
Try metal-finishing.com (think thats the url) They have forum for anodizing. Found a thread about this topic that says there is couple ways to do. The oven cleaner method actually removes anodizing but also starts into the aluminium. There is a chemical process mentioned that will just remove the anodizing but Im not sure of the chemicals as Im not into such things. May be best to take the pieces to pro to have removed.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Here's an old gunsmiths trick that I've been using to clean up some trim in my '67. Four ought steel wool and light oil. It works mint on interior trim, dash stuff, steering wheel radio buttons etc. Also works mint for taking light rust off guns!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Do not use myric acid as I suggested above! That is used to remove "flash chrome," not anodizing.

I tried buffing a small piece I had laying around and it polished up pretty quickly on the buffing wheel. I agree with Canuck64SS that the parts should be clear coated after buffing since aluminum will oxidize quickly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.