Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a book store the other day and ran across a book on Chevrolet police cars over the years. They have a picture of a 69 Chevelle 4 door hardtop with the RPO police package. It also said that they had 325 horsepower 396 engines in them. It was the only body style available with the police option. If this is the case there must be some original 396 four door cars out there. Does anybody have anymore info on these cars?

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Wow, that's pretty cool. I always wondered why they never (well maybe they did) produce a 1970 Chevelle police package car.

Think about it, you'd have a 4 door post car, dog-dish hubcaps and with a 454 under the hood. One helluva sleeper!

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
I remember paging through Hemmings back in high school and coming across a 69 Chevelle police car with the 396/325. Hughey's in NC (or SC?) had one for sale for way cheap. It must have been quite a beater, because theie prices are usually on the steep side.

·
Registered
421 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Remember, anything was possible if you knew the right person.I have an article from a worker in charge of C.O.P.O orders, and he stated that there were some ' 67 Impala 4 door police cars w/ 427-435hp 3 deuce setups from the Corvette.They were supposed to go out west, Nevada or Utah.Imagine how cool it would be to find one of those.I know where a ' 69 Impala 4 dr. is , 427/390hp., auto. A dealer here in town has it, he special ordered it, and still has it in his barn.

------------------
1972 Malibu (1 st. car) Project waiting to happen
Team Chevelle # 427
A.C.E.S. # 1282

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
In my finger tip fact book for 1967 chevys you could get a 385hp 427 with 3.31 gears in the biscayne and bel air police cruisers. In addition it says that Authorized Chevrolet Dealers can place special orders to satisfy specification requirements. I wonder what that means? 4 and 3 speed transmissions and the turbo Hydra-matic are available. They also list taxicabs being available like this also. This book is very good. It was printed in late 1966. There are some things it doesn't show though like the 396 375hp being available for a chevelle. It list what standard gearing came with certain engines and tranny combos and interior colors with exterior colors.

------------------
Malibu 307 (aka 406 smblk)
69 SS 396(aka 454)
Wolf in sheeps skin

[This message has been edited by plain 69 (edited 12-29-1999).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.