Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the stock A/C with a Sanden unit on my 67 Elcamino.
I need to replace the POA Valve & maybe the Suction (Throttle?) Valve. Has anyone ever had to replace these items and are they hard to find? I haven't seen them in any catalogs

note: I was told by someone who has an aftermarket A/C such as Sanden, to consider installing a muffler into the system. Because they can be loud without one

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 eng / 4L60 trans
"Canyon Carver"

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our local dealer said he couldn't get the POA valve. But of course they're not very friendly to the older cars, almost as bad as the Taco Bell grads at Al's or Shucks

The other valve is located right next to the POA valve.

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 eng / 4L60 trans
"Canyon Carver"

[This message has been edited by Cardiac (edited 12-25-1999).]

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
I would recommend putting a lot of effort into trying to find an AC-Delco parts store. Next, check a NAPA store or one of the BIG national chain stores (O'Riellys is big here). Last, but not least, see if there is a big auto air specialty shop in your area. As far as I know, you can still get these parts.
While we are on the subject of ac, the trusty ole A6 compressors are still available, new, (DO NOT BUY REBUILT) from AC-Delco. The only thing is, they now have metric threaded holes, both for attachment of the compressor to the brackets and the hole in the rear to attach the hose manifold. It's not that big of a deal, but if you ever buy a new compressor, you will need to get metric bolts.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
21 Posts
DZ, how close to original do they look, I am doing a back to stock resto and hate to spend big bucks and get a Gm close enough part. Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
FYI. The valves you are asking about, POA and suction throttle valve, are one and the same. It is a POASTV that is pilot operated absolute suction throttling valve. It is located between the evaporator and the compressor. It is available from GM. It is a service replacement, and doesn't look the same as the original. The other valve in the system is the expansion valve. It also is available from GM. Both are available from Year One but cost more. I usually get A/C parts from an AC Delco parts supplier.

[This message has been edited by Elree Colby (edited 12-26-1999).]

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The exhaust valve is shown in my (reprinted) Factory Assembly Instruction Manual, but it doesn't identify the exhaust valve.
Prior to disassembling the system, the POA valve and aluminum tubes would ice up.
I was told I should replace the POA anyway, but is it nesessary to replace the exhaust valve also?

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 eng / 4L60 trans
"Canyon Carver"

[This message has been edited by Cardiac (edited 12-26-1999).]

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
I'm assuming you are looking at a 67-assembly manual. I don't see the exhaust valve you're referring to. On UPC C60 page D1 is the POA. Item #3 5910602 VALVE ASM. On page D2 is Item #4 3859704 FITTING & MUFFLER ASM. If this is what you are referring to. As far as I know it has no moving parts, nothing to wear out. I agree, if the suction line is frosting you probably need to replace the POA. The only way to be sure is to measure the evap pressure when running.

How much of the stock system did you replace with the Sanden unit?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I replaced the compressor and fittings. I've retained the evaropator, condensor, and some hose. When I get it charged I'll have them replace the O-rings. I'm staying with R-12.

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 eng / 4L60 trans
"Canyon Carver"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.