Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1972 Chevelle SS 454 M22
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car wont start..4 cyl.auto trans..has had new fuel pump put on..pull the coil wire off the distrib cap..and there is fire..anyone have some idea's?..even tried a little fuel drip into the carb/throatle..doesnt even try to start...it was running then just quit..pulled over..tried to start once then nothing...

·
Premium Member
1972 Chevelle SS 454 M22
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd just do the basics. Compression test, fuel pressure, timing. I assume the timing belt is still ON?????
How would you check to see if the timing belt is still on and not broken?..car has over 100,000 miles

·
Premium Member
14,189 Posts
Take the dist cap off and see if it's turning while cranking, if not, no timing belt, should be done every 60,000 to 80,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
1972 Chevelle SS 454 M22
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update..Thing I have checked...

Timing belt not broke..nor and of the ridges on the belt.
tried spraying starting fluid into the thoatle body..nothing..just turns over
removed coil wire on dist.cap placed it near metel..got fire..
same with plug wires..

I have no idea what wrong..Please anyone..??

·
Super Moderator
13,297 Posts
Shannon,
AN engine has to have three things to run. Fuel, ignition and compression ... all at the right time. You have not done a compression test yet, that would be my first step. The timing belt might have jumped a few teeth, a compression test will tell you. Next is to put a timing light on it and see if the timing is correct ...... yes a timing light will work while cranking. You have to do these tests ..... without them you, or anyone else has no idea where to start troubleshooting.

By the way keep the "motor killer" , er I mean starting fluid, in the trash can where it belongs :(

·
Registered
480 Posts
Shannon,........

By the way keep the "motor killer" , er I mean starting fluid, in the trash can where it belongs :(
I'm with you on the ether. I wish they would outlaw it. BAAAADD STUFF, the only thing it's good for is trashing motors and making meth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts