Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently purchased disc brake kit. it has a brass prop valve. the part # is PV2. it came with lines from master to prop. i was going to use the stock lines to the wheels, but bent me some new ones for front. 3/16. i plan on using the stock line to the rear. 1/4. the outlet on the prop valve to the rear is bigger than the 1/4 inch line fitting. i was hoping to get a fitting that would fit that port and fit the 1/4 line. no luck. no one around here has a fitting that will work. been to parts stores, hydraulic places, industrial, etc. no one has one. i see these prop valves sold on just about all the brake kits, so i would think that one could find a fitting somewhere. maybe even an adapter. i cant seem to get answer at all only machine, were i bought the kit, but it bolted up nicely. i think the outlet is 3/8 in size, but need 1/4 line to fit in it. any ideas on where to find fitting please??? thanks

·
Premium Member
7,945 Posts
Lol, here we are, talking again. I had the same problem. Had to use about 3 different fittings to mate the rear stock line to the prop valve. I dont know why it was so difficult. If I had to do it over, I would remove the rear line, get the proper fitting put on and have the line retapered. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Go to your local Autozone and ask them if you can look in the assortment box with fittings and adapters. Most of the times, they keep it right behind the counter. When they say that they don't have one, ask them to just keep on looking until they find it. They usually do have it without knowing about it, so just be insistant and they'll more than likely find it. But you may have to describe the fittings as "small, shiny brass parts with different threads", like I had to do last time. Don't get too technical with them...;)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
went to autozone and dug in boxes of fittings. could not find correct one. maybe i will have to rig something like brett said. tried napa, carquest, advance, parts mart, etc. nobody had anything. maybe i am just blind. thanks guys.

·
Registered
14,613 Posts
Might try ACE hardware, they seem to have all the oddball stuff, just remember you have compression fittings, double flare fittings, NPT, etc. Jim

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea, all that stuff really confuses me sometimes. i usually take valve in and do a trial and error, but mostly error. been to ace they could not help me. dont know why, but guy said they didnt have. i am going out of my mind with this. any other help!! please!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
wow,....i don't get it either,...i am just wrapping up my conversion & had to do the same thing....decided rear line looks fine, & didn't want to go to all the trouble of replacing it just to satisfy my o.c.d.(ha).....i used a combonation valve, it is i believe a 1/2'' fitting on the rear.....took the valve to my local, small auto parts store....guy went in back to the assortment of ''edelman'' fittings....got the valve fitting & a line to line 3/16'' connector....bought a two foot piece of brake line, took it to my buddy at the auto shop, he cut off one end, slipped the 1/2'' fitting on & flared it for me....ta da....solved!!.....if you totally strike out, pm me...send me three bucks, & i'll go pick up what you need at my store & mail it to ya!!!....i know how frustrating it is to be stuck on one stupid thing holding ya up....g.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
g-man, you have same valve? sounds like it. the outlet on rear may be 1/2 inch. i couldnt even get anybody to tell me the correct size! my brake line to rear is 1/4 inch this much i am sure of. did you find a actual fitting that would screw into the valve and you flared all 1 piece? then you tied lines together with a connecter? is this correct? i may just be pm you and sending you 3 bucks! thanks

·
Premium Member
6,840 Posts
A NAPA store or other store that carries a stock of Weatherhead fittings will have what you need. It's an inverted flare, male/female adapter, but I can't remember off the top of my head which sizes you will need. Inverted flare is the key here, NOT pipe thread.
BillL

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had the same issue when converting to a disk/drum setup on my 64 Malibu. Since I decided to re-plumb the lines, I went to NAPA, and found the fitting for the rear of the combo/prop valve and the fittings for each end of the hard lines. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm using the exact same prop valve on my 65 wagon. I had to mate up to a 3/16" line going to the back. Tried Pep Boys for the right fitting, no luck. Then tried two Carquest's and got lucky on the 2nd try. The nut I bought was for a 3/16" line and was a 9/16-18 inverted flare fitting. (Edelmann fitting part #121039 3/16 x 9/16 - 18) I'm guessing that they should also make them for 1/4" and up as well. Your best bet is to look at the bins yourself or go to an independent type parts store that has a few "older" guys still working there. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I might add also that if the nut doesn't thread in smoothly, don't force it. Mine didn't thread in all the way, I called the company and apparently they had some valves with the wrong thread pitch or something on them. They are sending me another valve to replace the one I have now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.