Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a buddy of mine just traded me a set of 8mm yellow accel plug wires which he says he used for only a couple months...

before i put them on, i thought i should test them to make sure they are all working...what is the most accurate way to test them?...circut tester?...

as well, i noticed that each wire has a black boot on one end and an orange one on the other...is this normal?

thx guys!

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Plug wires are just wires with as little resistance (Ohms) as possible. If you have a 'volt/ohm meter' put it to Ohms and check it that way.

Just make sure none read as "oo" (infinity)or whatever your scope says is an aparent "open", anything above 500Ohms isn't a performance item. I could be wrong ont he number though.... sounds right anyhow

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've got the 8mm Accel wires. They have black boots at the distributor, and orange ones at the plugs. That's the way Accel packages them.

As for testing, look for a resistance of 5000-7000 ohms per foot (e.g. a 2 foot wire would test 10,000-14,000 ohms). Flex and bend the wires as you test, look for any sharp reading changes either high or low. The most likely point of damage, other than a burn-through, is at the terminal inside either boot. That's where wires take the most abuse from removing and installing.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Plug wires with 5k to 7k ohms per foot are OK for stock pieces but that's way too mush for performance pieces. I tested a bunch of Accel wires once(I worked at a parts store) and the Accel Super Stock wires had the same resistance as the regular wires on the shelf. The only Accel wires that were any good were the 300+ wires. They had about 100-150 ohms per foot. Personal opinion but I try to stay away from Accel as much as possible.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
The ones that are very low resistance will kill your radio reception. They are solid core wires as opposed to carbon. These are meant mainly for racing ignitions.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)
My 70SS

1 - 8 of 8 Posts