Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really don't know the best (clean looking)
way to install some good quality speakers in my 64 EC. I have been thinking about using some small box speakers like Bose complete with brackets to mount behind the seats but will welcome all suggestions and ideas. Right now all I have is an Auto Custom Sounds Stereo and a dual dash speaker. And it just don't cut it.
Thanks,
Bill

------------------

·
Registered
63 Posts
Bill,
What is the end result you are seeking? Do you use this vehicle as a daily driver, as an occassional/weekend vehicle, or as show only?
What type(s) of music do you listen to and at what volume level do you most often listen?
These are some of the questions I normally ask my customers when I build a custom system. You mentioned Bose speakers with brackets. If these are home speakers, I wholeheartedly say NO! The Custom unit you have won't last long under that kind of load in ohms.
If you could pass along some info on the interior, I'd be happy to offer advice.
1) Did the 64 come with a cubby behind the bench, as did later units?
2) Do you plan on staying exclusively with the Custom head unit?(ie-no amp)
3) Is the interior in original condition?
if so- do you plan on keeping it in this condition, or would you be open to modifications?
if so- to what limit would you accept an interior modification?
There's always more, so let me know what you would like to do and I can help.
Later,
Rob

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just got a ride from my brother in his cherry 64 elcamino this weekend. He had 2 of the truck box speakers behind the seat (using the custom auto sound stereo) and I thought the sound was acceptable, if not quite good for a classic stereo. Your plan seems to have merit also, good luck! Steve

[This message has been edited by Steve Balderson (edited 11-30-98).]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rob my 64 is a daily driver restification with most of the modern upgrades. I have no plan to restore it to original so some mods to the interior are possible. It has a bench seat and the spare behind the passenger side. The 64s didn't come with the later cubby.
I listen to rock music (Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Aerosmith, AC/DC etc.) at fairly loud levels and need some solid bass as well. I was considering one of the sparewheel mounted subwoofers that are available now. What do you think of them? I have also considered Kicker type boxes but I would have to remove my spare to balance it out correctly.
I have a killer home system but haven't been up to date on auto stereo systems for quite a while.
My in dash unit is a Custom Auto Sound unit with a relatively weak amp. I will want to upgrade it to drive better speakers.
Feel free to shoot me some ideas if you have the time.
Thanks,
Bill

·
Premium Member
6,218 Posts
Bill, I used to run some Bose 101's on custom brackets in my 64, along with some Pioneer 4 1/2's in the doors, low, and to the front. This system worked for me, to an extent. I've always thought about using the space where the cubby hole is on the later El Camino's for mounting some smaller subs. The space is there, it's just a question of how good of shape it's in. You can remove the screws from the bed plate, pull it and check it. You might be able to run some of the newer, 6" subs, maybe 4 of them, just chamber the backside to make them work good. I might go that route when I get my car back together. Then, just run some mids and tweeters on the doors. Just a thought, but I'm going to be there, soon enough.

Just a note, Rob, the Bose 101's are 4ohm speakers. My wife bought me a set one year for xmas, which I wanted to hook up to one of my TV's, but it required 8ohm regular house type speakers, so I used them in the car, no problem.

Let me know what you come up with, that works, Bill. Thanks, Darren

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Darren, that wasted space at the bottom of the cab under the front of the bed has always interested me. I've had the panel out and have some rust but the structure is still sound. You may be on to something there.
I had also considered using a hidden hinge at the front and Dzus fasteners to make it readily accessible for other stuff. What do you think about that? I can't figure out how to make it leak proof if it was removable.
Bill

·
Registered
341 Posts
Bill; You can get most of the sound you want with the usual co or tri-axial speakers in dash or add a couple in the door panels. The key to really good sound is the bass. The hot setup for this in a compact space is a dual voice coil woofer, 10 inch does real well, and electronic crossover with a decent amp. The speaker can be in a small box of about 3/4 cubic foot volume in about any shape and should be sealed. The main part is the electronic crossover here. Best deal I've found is JC Whitney at about 20 bucks. This and an amp of say 50 watts rms per channel and some decent speakers in the front will equal about any home stereo there is. Note, the crossover I use has high and low level inputs that you can run speaker wires to if your receiver doesn't have preamp outputs. Well worth the time and not a lot of money either. tom

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Bill...Have to throw in my ideas too...I would go with kick panel speakers and enclosures, they sould much better, because you can use a good size speaker, and they direct the sound more towards the listener than do the door speakers..and dont just throw a sub or two into that enclosure, the box must be the right size if you expect it to sound good...a good sounding system is easy, and it can be done with not too much bucks, but it does require some planning...you're certainly getting lots of ideas here...and an amp with a built in crossover would keep the wiring simpler..just depends on how much you want to get into..Good luck, and I would be glad to help, just E-mail me...stereo is my bag...besides Chevelle's, of course...John

·
Registered
63 Posts
First-an apology for the Bose drop. My assumption was the Direct/Reflecting style speakers that made Doctor Bose famous. These units are 8 ohm minimum. Bose does make some good 4 ohm speakers, but I personally prefer to avoid them. I have had the best personal experience with Infinity or Focal for the tweets, OZ and Cerwin Vega for the mids, and Infinity or Orion, for the subs.
It sounds like your leaning to a behind the seat sub box. This is the best way to go unless you plan to go to bucket seats. It's not necessary to remove the spare if you vent the box appropriately. I recommend a good 12" for the style of music you listed. You definitely want a dual voice coil for the power, but make sure the box is exact to the specs the manufacturer provides. And fill it with polyfil. Slightly less dense then a soft new pillow. This gives you an isothermic box if it's sealed, or ported. Keeping the air from moving fast with the polyfil gives you more kick and keeps it cool. Keeping it slow and cool also means the bass won't "soften" on you as quick during a loud, hard song. For the front, I would go with a fiberglass enclosure in the kickpanel area below the dash. As far forward, out, and low as you can get. Point the speakers out towards you. Most people go in the door with a 5.25 - 6X9. These are good size speakers for mid bass, mid and high, but the door sucks the mid out of them unless you build a specific enclosure. The bass just rattles, and the tweeters are pointed at the bench seat. What good is that? Besides, it tears up an otherwise good door. I have had very good response with enclosure pods in the footwell. You can even get "Q-Forms" for newer vehicles that look like they are O.E.
Be careful in the placement of your tweeters. To get the best out of them you have to aim them directly at the ears of yourself and your passenger. I would go with a 6.5" coaxial in the footwell and extra tweets on the dash.
Treat wattage like horsepower. My Honda can go 130 mph, if you have enough patience to get there. My Chevelle will do it before you even think twice. Wattage doesn't make it louder, it makes it better(more responsive) when it is loud. Consider a 75 to 100 X2 bridgable for the sub, and 100X2 for the 6.5"s and extra tweets. If you go this route, let me know what products you plan to go with and I can get you the appropriate filters and chokes for the speakers. In a good system, I normally tell customers to expect half of the cost for parts to be the head unit. I would dump the Custom unit. My .02. Get a unit that is built not to fit an opening, but to make a quality sound. When you're ready to do it, e-mail me with what you plans are and I'll let you know what to avoid and what to look for. Or if you need any other advice on mobile electronics...

Sorry this is so long, but its rare that I can sound off at what I do for a living.
Lemme know-
Rob
1BADS72

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.