Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: ok guys i bought some 10x15 weld draglines for the back of my velle.well they wouldnt fit under the car so i went and got some air shocks and put on and it raised the back of the car enough to get the wheels on. here is my problem, the shocks are evedentally to soft because when the car hits a bump or a pothole then the shocks let the car come down enough to rub the tire . also if you corner to the left to fast then the passenger side will rub. as far as i can tell the drivers side does not rub at all. i may have a problem with the passenger side air shock but what i want to know is if there is a better way to get my car up in the back and not have to depend on the air shocks as much. and buy the way i need a cheap fix if anyone has any ideas. thanks guys

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
Micheal. The best way I know of is to install station wagon springs.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I put coil spring spacers in mine to raise it 1.75" - Seems to be working OK.

LK
the spring coil spacers is the most effective, unabusive, and cheapest. I was gonna put them on the 65, more for "appearance" but I have decided to lower the front instead by an inch.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Michael,Do you have a street car or a race car?
Why would you want the hassle of a 10" wide wheel unless you are in fact racing.Which I doubt, since I've rarely seen pot holes or curves on a dragstrip.Unless you count the transition from track to return lane.
My point is that a 15X10 is in my opinion too wide for a street bound 67,because the section width of the tire is too wide for the fender width,as you know.
However,a15X8 with 4 1/2 in. back space and a 275-60 R15 or a 28X11.5 R15 fits very nicely and your car won't look like it belongs in the 70's.
Reason I know this is because,I have 15X8's and Mickey Thompson ET Streets,28X11.5's, on my 67'.And although I run coil-overs instead of the factory set up,my car sits 9" off the ground in the back and 8" in the front.
The lower control arm is parallel to the ground.And when all is said and done,I plan to put the kids in the car,go to the track, and see if we can run some low 7's.I'd say the new twin Turboed 363 will allow it.
Good Luck,Eric.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: thanks for the help with help with rear height

thanks guys,
ive heard from more than one person that i should go with 8x15 instead so i guess thats what i will do. i just like the look of the 10s on the back but if 8s are better then thats the way i will go. thanks guys for all your input.and no its not a racecar, just for show.

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
Michael. 15x8 with a 275/60 is plenty of meat.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Michael,saw that you are from Knoxville.I'm in Crossville.60 miles West of you.
Just thought I would say hi.Seems to be some nice cars in the area,not only Chevelles mind you.I have a friend here,who owns a 70 Shelby GT-500,and another has a GTX.They give me fitts about Chevelles but they know,Chevrolet is KING.
And yes,15X8's will make you happier.And they still look cool to.

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
Putting ElCamino or Chevelle Station wagon coils will probalby cure it . Just remeber when they sit that high your driveshaft angle will go out of whack causing driveline vibrations , and also it will probalby wheel hop for sure being like that.

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.