Chevelles.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was driving to work today, the wipers stopped working (which in the rain, isn't a good thing).

1997 Chevy S10 pickup...

They have been doing this on and off for several years.

But when I turn the switch "on", I heard a "buzzing" like the motor is getting power but stuck... So I presume its not power, ground or the switch...

Same thing when I "wash" the window (when the wipers are stuck), I will HEAR the washer pump pumping, but nothing comes out...

Everything usually works fine (even the washer usually works, only doesn't when the wipers stop).

When they don't work, they are always in the down/off position. I thought maybe the motor had a dead spot... I get out and wiggle the arms and they will start working right away...

Today, they stopped (while on intermittant and down), and so I pulled off the freeway and wiggled the linkage and they sarted right up...

THEN, for the first time, they stopped IN THE MIDDLE of the windshield... A few minutes later they stared again on their own... Previously, it was always in the down/off position...

I hate trying to troubleshoot an intermittant condition... any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tony

·
Premium Member
6,741 Posts
Originally posted by HD:
l78 i work at a chevy dealer your wipers need a circuit board they are about 50 bucks
HD, sounds like you should know best. When my wipers on my 96 chevy truck acted like that it was the motor assembly. You could hear the motor running but they stopped in the middle or would not start.

·
Premium Member
13,557 Posts
There was a recall on the 96 full size trucks, I got one on my 96 Tahoe, the dealer did the repair in about 20 mins. The circuit board is the problem.

EDIT: see your dealer, special policy adjustment # 02054A: recall # 98043. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
The repair is sometimes "cold solder joints". I think that could have been mine, but I redid all I could get to. The dealer eventually repaid me foe the wiper module.

The problem also exists with the contacts on the end of the metal springs being worn out.

Hope you fix it.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Tony

At the wiper motor remove the connector then remove the 3 torx screws holding the black cover on. The module (circuit board is under it. You then can pull out the circuit board and if you look at the board there are five solder points right at the connector. Most of the time if you resolder those the problem goes away. I think its vibration from the connector that breaks the solder.

edit...I just reread your post and noticed you said you had a buzzing noise. If that be the case resoldering likely won't take care of it. One of the transistors is failing. You'll need to replace the module. They are all over ebay
new... look here

You can put it in yourself no problem..

Jack

·
Premium Member
13,557 Posts
If your module has PULSE on it, make sure you get one that has that on it too, it makes a difference, don't ask how I know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts