Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alrighty, 70 malibu sweep dash with idiot lights, no clock. i just put the dash back in the malibu and i have two plugs that i dont know where they go. One is a T shaped 4 pos connector has brown, two orange, yellow, blue. i think its brown plastic. the other one is a 3 pos kinda square white plastic with a yellow, orange and blue.

what and where do these go???!

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
No A/C in the car, right?
One is a T shaped 4 pos connector has brown, two orange, yellow, blue. i think its brown plastic.

This one is the heater control. Plugs into the switch that runs the heater fan.

the other one is a 3 pos kinda square white plastic with a yellow, orange and blue.

This is the connector for the heater resistors. The resistors are on the left top of the heater plenum box. The box under the dash on the passenger side where the hot air comes out.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i knew i forgot to mention A/C, yes it is a/c equipped. anything different?

the 3 pos one sounds correct but i think the 4 pos connector has to go elsewhere. im pretty sure I hooked up the fan speed control becasue i remember one of the connector areas was melted. this one is shaped differently kinda like

brn - - or/or (2 wires)
- y
- blue

(the Y and Blue should be centered)

[This message has been edited by Nicks406 (edited 12-11-2002).]

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Something is out of the ordinary here. As John stated the two connectors in question are for the heat only fan control switch and the low/med speed resistors. What's unusual is that you have these two plugs and A/C. Typically cars with A/C have a dash harness that doesn't have these two connectors. Exception- If a Chevelle has the optional gauge dash, that dash harness has connections for both heat only and A/C-heat. Your sweep dash harness must be set up for both. Is the A/C in your car factory installed?

On your fuse block the top right fuse should be marked A/C TCS and should supply the brown wire on the A/C fan speed switch connector. Down two or three another fuse marked HEAT should supply the brown wire on the T connector. Bottom line is of the A/C blower motor works all must be wired correct and the two connectors in question are not used.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info guys. i will get to it sometime tomorrow and let you know the results. kinda got a little cranky today after doing the whole deal...lol finish up the loose ends tomorrow!

thanks again!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok guys, its pretty much set i guess. apparently the two arent used on my car. my fan speed switch has two seperate connectors, one brn and one blk plastic and the motor works correctly.

why does the fan switch have 5 detents? fan only functions on 3 or 4 of the settings, maybe i need a new switch?

Lastly, courtesy lights, why dont mine work??lol i need to get a pass side door switch yet but they should still work off the drivers door right? whats the orange wire for? I have the blk wire grounded to the dashboard frame or the park brake plate, i forget and i have the white 20 ga wire connected to the one side of the drivers door switch. any other input?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nicks406:
why does the fan switch have 5 detents? fan only functions on 3 or 4 of the settings, maybe i need a new switch?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which setting doesn't work? The high setting?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think the lowest (lo) and the third (around middle) do not work. it does have 3 functional speeds currently which could be satisfactory for lo/med/hi.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
It almost sounds like you have a problem with the blower resistors under the hood. I've set a truth table to your listed email for a 69. It shows what positions switch which resistor. May get you a little further.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts