Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I chime in at post 18. Rip into me thats fine
Love the cars just not the crowd for some reason drives me crasy
Worked in C1-2/1st Gen Camaro resto shop for yrs in the 80s and it was like this
Am I out of line
Im almost 50 but a true "car guy" to the core. Biased on Chevys(acually a Gen 1 Camaro nut but cant afford it). Glad I got what I got only paid 2200 for mine in the 90s.

Anyways

I find myself in a quandary... - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Feedback good bad or indifferent
Its Ok Im a big boy I can take it. :D
This hobby I always thought was supposed to be about fun. Cruising learning spending time with buds good stuff. Thats it. Money comes from a job /biz not this medicated craziness
Imo if you wanna make money in this hobby you flip chit or keep it and put yourselef into it. Am I out of line. Honesty.....just fine with me.

promiste me it wont happen ehre. When I was in HS (80s) the guys that drove Chevelles Caminos Novas were the ones to watch out for. Sometimes called aholes esp the Camino guys according to my aunt. even saw a license plate frame referring to it back in the day. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
C5 vettes are the cars that nobody drives or sells. The guys that have them never drove them and the guys that want to sell them can't accept that they are at the bottom of the price curve right now. That's why there are so many low mileage ones for sale and not selling. Low mileage clean C5 vettes are the norm, not the exception.

·
Registered
13,190 Posts
I swear I do not understand what you are trying to say??????????????????????????????

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a stroke 2 weeks ago. I do proofread but if it doesnt make sense try again or ask
Ive learned it reads normal to me but can really be a bunch of jumbled words

In short this hobby to me is about fun heritage good people keeping it fuin
I cannot swallow putting out major coing and denying yourself a minute to enjoy it or make it yours casue youre worried about the next guy
thats like buying your wife a tit job and not touching them "they may get ruined what will someone else think"

I know I know.....

When you relazie lifes drawing to an end everything changes. and Im only 48

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Understand. My 66 is a true New England rust bucket. Lives outside, and gets driven several days a week. I like that I can buy any part needed. But I still remember patching together my $50 Mustang hot rod from an 82 shell and a running 255 v8 donor car, that ran high 17 second et's the first time out. On a borrowed trailer. Never had a case of Corvette fever that a Mustang could not cure.

·
Registered
14,977 Posts
I think I know what your saying. My chevelles and El Camino has no paint, new interiors since I sit in it. I love to drive them, work on them etc. Unfortunately prices on decent chevelles are slowly approaching Camarof prices so it gets hard for us average Joe's to go out and find a decent project to build. Jim

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I may not always have the time, but I do drive my Chevelle. Stay in the throttle my friend. :)

Seriously though, everyone is different, but just don't see how some people refuse to drive their old cars for fear of putting miles on it. Cars were built to drive. These cars are a hobby for me, not investments. Stock, Bonds, real estate, etc. are what I consider investments. Kind of funny to think the Corvette OP in your link can't wrap his head around driving a 2002 'Vette that already has 29k miles. His money, not mine, so doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I say its your car. As long as you enjoy it, who cares what anyone else thinks. My grandfather was a 100% original kind of guy. Dad was what I would call a classic kind of guy. First car I ever did much with was an 85 mustang. When I asked my dad what should I do, he simply said it's YOURS do what YOU want. Best car advice I ever got. When I was done it was loud, hot, and generally obnoxious. Just the way I wanted it!:grin2:

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,411 Posts
I've had many cars and that includes 6 different Corvettes and I never said I don't want to drive it so I can keep the mileage down. I do find myself not driving the toy I have now as much as ones I had in my earlier years but it's not to keep the mileage down on it. I could never see putting any car on a pedestal and just looking at it. As you get older you start to think how much time do I have left to enjoy this hobby. I consider myself a "Average Joe" and do as much to my cars as I can myself, turn them into what I like, and enjoy the s_it out of them. Lifes to short to just look at them. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I'm all for preserving the cars. They aren't building any more. I would not advocate beating them to death with constant burn-outs, donuts, and general careless abuse.

However, I DO believe that they should be driven and enjoyed. I find it sad that so many of these cars go from garage to trailer to show field, and back to garage.

Take your car on a 200 mile (or longer) road trip. Hit a test and tune day at the drag strip. Launch it hard and run through the gears on a deserted back road. If you aren't doing these things, you don't know what you are missing. :)

·
Premium Member
2,985 Posts
There are those cars and people with that attitude in every aspect of the hobby. That's fine, they can preserve their cars. Only so many were made. I enjoy wrenching on mine and driving it. Somebody else will be able to enjoy theirs later. We only really need one representative of each model. Over time most will get worn out in some form or fashion.

Devin

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
i have a 99 z28 daily driver now but a gen 5 vette would be an awesome upgrade. if i bought one i would drive the **** out of it just like the camaro

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
OP, I'm with you in spirit but I think you are a touch out of line. I've had Chevelles since I was 18 (29 years ago -- wow). I got into them for the facts that they were muscle cars, relatively affordable, and you could hot rod them. Since then, I've maintained ownership of two. A 4th owner 2dr post 1967 that I've frame off modified. And, a 4th owner survivor 64 Malibu I can track ownership to 1985 with original dealer paperwork. I drive the '67 because I don't care about mileage AND it's my main toy. But I don't drive it enough by your standards. The 64 I don't drive as much. I daily drove it in the 90's when the other car was in paint-and-body jail. It's my "spare" toy and I do know that mileage matters on it. I bought it with 59,000 and it has 65,000 now.

As far as Vettes go, it's a different end of the the hobby. Mostly they have never been bought as daily drivers but as toys. Unlike Chevelles which were mostly transportation that have become toys since (think about how many SS tributes. there are.) Lots of restoration parts. But also big money. If you can scrap around for parts the way I do with my Chevelles you can save a ton doing a Vette. But Vette guys don't.

You caught my attention with your thoughts on LT5 ZR1's. Not a great investment to take a $60,000 car in 1990 and store it for 25 years to get less than $20,000 now. IMO most of these don't have 1000 miles on them. I'm lucky to have 12,000 low miles on mine, which equates to about 450 miles per year. I didn't buy mine because it was an investment going forward. C4's may have their day, but this is not it. I bought it to have a Vette that was cool without a crap ton invested. maybe the C5 guys think differently, who knows. But I don't think the math works out in the future any better than it did in the past. Vette guys do what they do and Chevelle guys do too, but differently.

·
Registered
7,810 Posts
I found a '66 L72 C2 coupe a couple years back. The 427 was replaced in the 70s with a fairly stout 327. It gives me great pleasure to beat the snot out of it but I wanted more. Found a 427 that I had built over the winter that should be putting out 500hp which should bring even more smiles.
My documented '69 L78 300 post will be built as a day 2 hotrod, basically restoring it to concours and then adding a LS6 motor and a autogear M23. That'll get driven hard also even though it's probably 1 of just a handful with documentation.
There's a few other rare birds under my roof that ALL get driven, you see, I never plan on selling any of them and really don't see a reason to coddle them.
Honestly, I feel there's plenty of museum cars out there to fill that needs. Most of the folks that like these old cars have more than a couple of them. I can count hundreds of collectors within 30 miles that have damn near retirement money wrapped up in their collections, so really there's no shortage of vintage iron.
There is a shortage of these cars making their way onto our backroads however.

·
Premium Member
17,566 Posts
I may not always have the time, but I do drive my Chevelle. Stay in the throttle my friend. :)

Seriously though, everyone is different, but just don't see how some people refuse to drive their old cars for fear of putting miles on it. Cars were built to drive. These cars are a hobby for me, not investments. Stock, Bonds, real estate, etc. are what I consider investments. Kind of funny to think the Corvette OP in your link can't wrap his head around driving a 2002 'Vette that already has 29k miles. His money, not mine, so doesn't bother me.
Over the years you learn that everyone has a different perspective... But yeah, I often wonder why anyone would buy a true musclecar, and not want to floor the throttle, maybe bang a few gears, chirp the tires, etc... I am waiting for someone to buy a "nice" musclecar from a big auction (like B-J), and actually drive the thing home, leaving the B-J parking lot, getting sideways with two black stripes down the pavement... My guess it that Velocity/etc would probably love to get that footage on their channel (maybe just in the parking lot)...

Its a double-edged sword though... IF the collectors were paying big money, then the resto companies may not have as many replacement parts available...

For me, my cars aren't perfect, but I try to do everything I can myself, regardless of the imperfections... To me, that's why I enjoy the hobby. The only people that seem to call-out the flaws are the guys that paid someone else to do all the work for them...

When I am at a show, I tend to enjoy the owner-built cars more than the pro-jobs, realizing the labor of love that went into the build.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
My cars are ALL drivers. Keep them clean and maintained, and enjoy them.

Reactions: Kirk's67SS

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
To me the thing with Vettes and newer Camaros is totally different than old 60's 70's stuff. After say 1972, performance went to hell, in 15 years V8s with under 150 hp were typical, so the old stuff was and is desirable. Then say in late 1980s with EFI became more refined, HP has climbed about 10hp per year or more for 25 years straight, so every new year is not just a newer lower mile car, but better performing in every way, the only reason to but an old one is to save money, not to get the previous generations performance that is no longer available.
SO, 1990s, 2000s, ARE worth less, period, and always will be, ALWAYS.
But they are hell of a car, compared to the mid/late 70s through say 1992, so are extreme bargains for bang for the buck.
If you want to drive it a lot DON'T get a low mile one, it will be premium priced just because nobody drove it, and you will be paying for something that you yourself will erase. Get a mid mile one, still great condition, just driven.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
This is funny to me. I bought a 2002 electron blue Z06 used back in 2005 when I was living in Fort Myers Fl. I bought it with 22,000 miles, drove it to work daily, beat the **** out of it every day. I mean I was relentless with the throttle. I sold it with around 60,000 miles with bald tires and alot of road rashed paint on the lower valances from the sandy roads down there. It wasn't a peach when I sold it but I only lost about $10k from when I bought it. Was the best 10k I ever spent. I had alot of fun with that car. I have never abused a car so badly and never broke anything. I'd buy another one anyday and I wouldn't care about resale.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
And just to add.. I had a '66 chevelle as well at the time. I would go to car shows locally in South Florida and I would always laugh at the old geezers who would have their nicely polished brand new corvettes at the show. I ran with a crowd of younger muscle car guys and I always wondered what's the point of bringing something to a car show that you could see the same day new on a car lot and actually take it for a test drive. These modern day cars have no collectability except for a small few in my opinion. Bottom line, buy a late model corvette and drive it like you stole it!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts