Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the history of plastic inner fenders. I have seen them on an original '69 SS and a '72 SS. Were there certain assembly plants that used them, and were they available on all '68-'72 chevelles?

------------------
68L78 (numbers car)
'70 Malibu (first car)
'65 4dr 283 glide (driver)

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
I have never had them on a 68, have had them on 69-72s, sometimes with one plastic and one steel, no one ever could come up with a convincing reason on what determined what car got what...

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hey Scott,
Look at the top right of this page. Look for "search" follow the easy directions and search for "plastic inner fenders"
There have been numerous long threads on this subject with many different opinions as to why, what part of the country plastic and metal inners were destined for.
When it's all said and done, it looks like they just used what they had that day, at that plant.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Speaking for 69 Chevelles, I have had quite a few. Most were original. One was from the Atlanta plant and had steel inner fenders. Two were from Kansas City, both had steel inners, one from Baltimore with plastic inners, three from Framingham, Mass, they all had plastic inner fenders. I'd much rather have the steel ones as they can stand the test of time, plastic ones don't.

·
Registered
163 Posts
We have a 69 SS assembled in Fremont, California in early June and it has plastic inner fenders -- both cracked around bolt holes around wheel wells. We also would like to know more about this subject and will try to do the search on the plastic inner fenders. Thank you. Stano & Cook

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,008 Posts
My very original 70 has one of each... drivers is plastic.

Tom

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your replies, they answer what I needed to know. I tried the search engine prior to posting and only found one item.

------------------
68L78 (numbers car)
'70 Malibu (first car)
'65 4dr 283 glide (driver)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Wasn't trying to be rude there about the search.
I know there are acouple good threads about this, including years and where assembled. It is pretty interesting. And more than one person said their's came mixed, one plastic, one metal.
For the record, my very stock 69 Malibu was a June car assembled in Fremont. It came with the plastic inners.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My Kansas City built 72 has one plastic and one metal. My California built 71
convertable has one plastic and one metal. The '71s plastic inner says
"General Motors of Canada" on it.
My '71 Monte has both inners plastic

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.