Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1970 Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe. My inner fender wells under the hood are plastic and almost every other old Chevy I see has steel. Was this some kind of Sport Coupe option? Also, the door jams have a little plastic piece in them referred to by National Parts Depot to be a "LOUVER, Door Jamb Air Outlet" sold only to '69 models, and '70-'72 Sport Coupe and Convertable. Any ideas on on the purposes of these things metioned and why they are there? Thanks..

------------------
IrateN8
Northern California
1970 Malibu Sport Coupe, Proudly USA (TX) Built
Gen-X Member

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
They came both ways, I had a car with one of each one time.

------------------
1972 Malibu (1 st. car) Project waiting to happen / Team Chevelle # 427 / A.C.E.S. # 1282

·
Registered
337 Posts
The black vents in the 1/4s are the pressure releif valves. They releive the pressure inside the car when you shut the doors with the windows closed. All cars and trucks have them, some are just located in other parts of the car.

Jeff

G

·
I believe the difference between plastic and steel inner fenders was which plant the car was produced at I know in 69 if it was an Atlanta car it had plastic inner fenders while cars built in Baltimore had steel

·
Registered
738 Posts
Like Doug's car, my 70' Malibu also came with both plastic and steel...why the factory did that is anyone's guess. If you are thinking of getting new steel pieces, I ordered mine (1 year ago) from Orignal Parts Group...I think they were like $70 cheaper than Year One and fit just fine - a pain to put in though ;(.

------------------
'70 Malibu - 383 'Fog Fed' Stroker! Houston, Texas Gold Member #39
Chevellz Alwayz!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.