Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on here in the Pittsburgh, PA area? If so, any suggestions on a good engine shop you would recommend? I am looking for cleaning, bore job, maybe bore align if needed....heads and block work on a 68 396. Rebuilding it to a street-able driver, so no need for a high end race building shop.
Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I am in Bellevue off of 65. For 30 years? Hopefully that means you trust them still. Would they be able to handle the minimal work I'm thinking? Ideally, i would prefer to use one shop for all the machine work that might come up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha. Well maybe that is a business plan for a far far corner of Vegas strip gambling.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
They have done several big blocks for me. Some stock re-builds and race motors both. There number is (724) 785-9699. Ask for Harry. I am always down your way at the Dynacorn warehouse in Leetsdale right off of 65.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I haven't lived in Pittsburgh for 25 years, but B&R used to be the place to go 30 years ago. I have no idea if they still do good work or not?

B&R Speed Supply | Machine Shop | B & R Speed Supply

The last stock BBC we built when I was still in Pittsburgh, we used the NAPA store in Carnegie (Roman's). I don't think they even have a machine shop anymore? We had the crank ground at a shop in Coraopolis (that also may or may not do do machining anymore) - can't recall the name.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
I had Rumbold, In Beaver Falls build my 468. The engine has over 36.000 highway miles and it has NO oil leaks ANYWHERE,, Uses NO oil between oil changes. They are located on Rt. 18.
Get off the Beaver Falls exit ,,Go towards Beaver Falls and they are on the right about two miles from the pike.
If you see a 62 Chev. Hdt. at the track its red. It races in the " It looks all stock class , And wins all the time !
Are you ready...... The engine is a 409, The good part is, IT has a ton of cubic inches, WHY? The bottom end is a " 454 " and it has the " W " valve covers. He also built my buddy MOTOWN- 454 (blown) SMALL BLOCK and his dads 502 Big Block.
He also builds engines from the Alum. Castings. He will also build and test & run the cam in (in his shop) for a small fee. And or dyno.
Your call---" Good work aint cheap, And Cheap work aint good."
Bob

·
Premium Member
12,730 Posts
I used B&R when i rebuilt mine back in 2004. As far as Romans it is still a Napa auto parts but is no longer owned by the Roman family and the machine shop is long gone. Not familuar with anything in Coriopolis.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I have a coworker who had some Ford heads for his Mustang rebuilt by B&R. He doesnt have much to say in the super positive way. I dont know all the details, but he isnt happy with whatever transpired. Either way, this is why I am asking. For personal experiences.
Another coworker has suggested Napa in Coraopolis and Winners Race engines in South Hills but neither have done work at those shops before. Just heard good things. I like hearing about shops people have actually used. Again, i don't want them to build the engine, just do the machine/cleaning work.

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
I don't know if this will interest you or not as he is in Long Island, New York, but there is a user on this site known as GosFast. He is a 396/402 guru.....whether you want it bone stock or just looking like bone stock. He does a TON of 396 builds with excellent results.

It's just a state....and a turnpike....away.

Reactions: russellellis
1 - 13 of 13 Posts